Part 21

"I loved him so much, Matt

"I loved him so much, Matt. Like no one before. Ever." Elena said to her friend.

"So, where are you going now?"

"Back to Nova Scotia." Elena replied.

"Thank you, Elena

"Thank you, Elena. You gave me my life back." Stefan said.

"You're welcome" Elena said, her eyes watering a bit from emotions.

*Saying goodbye to her friends in Mystic Falls, Elena got in the car and put the music on, now flashing back to a week before

*
Saying goodbye to her friends in Mystic Falls, Elena got in the car and put the music on, now flashing back to a week before.

General Flashback

Having found out that Elena was in fact pregnant with Elijah's baby made Katherine lose her cool. Though she never wanted children with him or anyone really, the last person she wanted was her sister to have a child with him. It meant that they would forever be connected and that she would have all the amenities, and she could not have her sister be happy.

Years back in college she would always get into a hissing fit.

"Elena this, Elena that. The best. The valedictorian. Golden girl. Ugh, how I hate her!" Katherine fumed as she found out Elena was chosen to give a speech at the Graduation.

The hatred and envy deepend. She knew with all the goings on and that Elijah had fallen for her sister, brought her to the decision to kill Elijah. It was as simple as that.

"It's not going to be easy, Katarina," Roberto said,"your husband has got security."

"Yes, but - I got an ace up my sleeve. My sister dear disappeared. Which brings me to a brilliant idea, to appear - as her.There is also an entrance from the back of the house connected to the other house. This is French Quarter and there are magic doors, so to speak. I can get in and out and I doubt they are guarding that door."

And so, Katherine made a fake pregnancy belly, just in case she is discovered. She could pretend to be Elena, who had returned.

It worked like a charm, so she thought as she slipped out having shot her husband. But, as she got to out of the adjecent house, that was empty, the housekeeper that came for some reason to collect something saw Katherine leave.

In the car, Elena put the radio on, her thoughts drifting to a conversation with Klaus.

Days ago, in the hospital, Klaus had said to Elena that the housekeeper found it odd and immediately alerted Jackie, who, of course told the security about her suspicions that it wasn't Elena, who had returned to the house. Jackie found Elijah in the pool of blood.
Luckily, she had some nurse training when she was young, and she knew how to stop the bleeding till the ambulance arrived. But as he fell, Elijah hit the head on the side table. It caused some hemorrhage, so they had to operate on the head as well.

"I never meant to hurt him. Ever. I swear. But I - just - when got going, I just drove and I - can't explain. I got so scared." Elena said.

"Now that all this has happened - maybe you did the right thing. God forbid, but, I can't stop thinking what if you were there- she could have shot you, too. The baby - I don't wapnt to think about it. Now, the FBi is involved again. They are thoroughly investigating Katherine. They will want to speak to you, too. I've told them about you and Elijah  and how you fell in love - and also that you thought it was best you went away and that they, Katherine found out about you and they had a row and she left, resulting in - yeah." Klaus said.

"You - lied for me?"

"For Elijah. For the baby. For you, too. He fell for you. Truly."

Elena brushed the tear that ran down her face. Emotions were high.

"I wi always look out for you and the baby. You're not alone." Klaus said.

"Thank you so much"  Elena said."I hope Caroline can forgive me one day."

"She will. Give her time." Klaus put a hand on Elena's shoulder as a goodbye.

Reaching her destination the next day, Elena got out of the car and went into a house.

"Finally" the man said.

"Yeah, finally." Elena said putting her bag down smiling at the man.