Part 4

"Ah, thank God you are awake

"Ah, thank God you are awake." Elijah took hold of Elena's hand.

"What?" Elena pulled the hand out."Who are you?"

"Elijah - your husband, Katherine- let me call the doctors" he pressed the bell.

"Katherine?" Elena slipped faintly.

But before she could say more, the attending was in and proceeded examining her.

Elijah was asked to leave the room. Taking his phone from the suit, he called his brother.

"She is awake!" he shot out as his brother picked up the call.

"It will be fine. Have you heard anything from the police?" Klaus asked.

"Nothing yet." Elijah sighed.

"Who would shoot, Katherine? It doesn't make sense."

"They say that she was at the wrong place. Or they have mistaken her for a mobster's wife. It is all ridiculous. I am just glad she is awake." Elijah's eyes watered, exhaling.

"Listen, I will be there in half an hour. The traffic is mad. I will call Caroline. See you. Everything will be fine, Elijah. Love you, brother." Klaus said before he hung up.

Elijah, sighed, overwhelmed by the whple ordeal the last few days as he got a call from the paramedics that his wife was shot.

"Your wife is going to be fine. She is experiencing a minor loss of memory. She is confused. This is due to the shock. It is not uncommon. She was very lucky." the Attending said as he approached Elijah.

"Thank you."

The Attending nodded a little and went about his other business.

Elijah returned to the room, giving Elena the biggest smile. He took her hand, and kissed it. "I love you. I don't know what I would have done if I lost you, my dear Kat."

Elena was quiet. "Why are you calling me Kat?"

"This is your name, I mean, your full name is Katherine. They said that you would be confused and suffer from a minor memory loss. But, it will get back to you."

"I know my name. I am Elena. My name is Elena, and - I - am - I have no husband." the brunette said.

Elijah looked at Elena and then at the nurse, whose expression indicated that this is not unusual that patients suffering a memory loss get mixed up.

"She will need her rest." the nurse said, injecting Elena with a pain- killer and a mild tranquilizer as the attending prescribed.

"Everything will be fine, darling. Rest now." Elijah placed a kiss on Elena's forehead as she closed her eyes.

Taking her hand, Elijah rubbed the back of it gently with his thumb. "Everything will be all right."

Some time later, Klaus and Caroline came to the hospital.