Chapter 18: A Dark History

"You can't be serious!"

"I am."

"Come on! This is a joke, right?!"

"Unfortunately, no."

I had nothing else to say. I just stood there under the Oak Tree with a shocked expression.

This can't be happening. There's no way that this was happening.

I have to continue to work with Ninja Girl?! Are you kidding me?!

My mind was in a frenzy to the point where I thought it was going to short-circuit itself. Smoke was probably pouring out of

"Kuma, I only teamed up with this kid because we were wasting our time arguing at the mansion. I wanted to deal with Marcus and wrap up that entire situation." I tried to explain.

"Yes, but Marcus escaped." Kuma reminded me.

"Only because that brat lost her head!" I pointed at Ninja Girl in anger.

"Hey! Who are you calling a brat, Forest Freak?!" Ninja Girl couldn't stay quiet any longer and snarled at me.

"Who do you think?! If it wasn't for you, I could've dealt with Marcus and finished my business with him." I barked back at her.

"Did you forget that I had business with him too? If you killed him, then I would've missed my chance to finish him off myself."

"The safety of my home comes first, Ninja Girl! I'm not going to let some slave owner take over the place that's been taking care of me. I'll do anything to keep it safe, no matter the cost!"

"And I'll do anything to get revenge! I was that bastard's slave for half a decade! Can you imagine being that monster's personal toy?!"

Tears started building up in her crimson red eyes. Wait, weren't her eyes gray before?

She did something similar the first time I met her while I was in the city. Her eyes seem to light up red whenever she gets angry.

Despite her personality and my overall hatred for this brat, she was very pretty with red eyes. Yeah, I'm definitely regretting what I just said.

I mentally kicked myself and stared at Ninja Girl. We both just glared at each other for a few seconds until Kuma stepped in.

"That's enough, you two." Kuma stepped. "If this continues then a fight is bound to happen. Miss Grimm, I would like to speak with Ayato alone."

Ninja Girl didn't say anything and just glared at me for a couple more seconds. After that, she left while stomping away.

"Well, that could've gone better," Kuma commented while walking his way back to his stone platform.

"I can't believe you, Kuma! You knew I wanted her gone as soon as she was back to normal and now you want us to work together? What were you thinking?!" I couldn't control my anger any longer and explode at Kuma.

I thought Kuma was going to yell at me for doing that, but he just stayed quiet. In fact, something seems off about him, like he's distracted.

All the rage and frustrated that was built up suddenly flowed out of me. The only thing that remained was confusion.

What the hell happened between those two while I turned my back on them?

"Kuma, you okay?" I asked.

"Huh? Did you say something?" Kuma didn't appear to be paying attention to me, as if he was staring into space.

Something's clearly up with him. After meeting Ninja Girl, he's been too absent-minded, which isn't like him.