~

Ellison walked along the garden path separating the guest house from the rest of her family's home. She and Tom had spent the majority of the day in Puddlemere, a small village that rested a mile or so from her house. They had made a day of exploring the various shops, and had even stopped for lunch at a fish and chips stand overlooking the harbor. She had left Tom moments ago to get freshened up for dinner and had decided to take the long way, enjoying the fresh flowers that had bloomed in her mother's flower garden.

She opened the back door to the house, and walked inside. Walking down the long hallway, she stopped short of the staircase leading to her room. The door to the study was open, and sitting at the desk stationed inside it was her father. Ellison had yet to see her father. He hadn't made it to dinner the previous night as her mother had said he would, and he hadn't been at breakfast that morning either.

Ellison peaked inside the room. Her father was seated behind the desk, pouring over the pile of papers that sat before him. Knocking on the door, she stepped inside.

"Hi dad." Mr. Pennifold looked up, a smile appearing on his face at the sight of his daughter.

"Ellison! Please, come in!" Taking off his reading glasses, he stood up, walking around the desk to greet her. He looked tired. His eyes were heavy, with rings of light purple underneath them. How long had he gone without enough sleep she wondered. Ellison walked inside, returning the embrace her father gave her. "Please, have a seat," Mr. Pennifold said once they had pulled away from one another. "I'm sorry I haven't been able to sit down and eat with you all," Mr. Pennifold said, taking a seat behind his desk. "Things have been busy at The Ministry as of late."

"Looks like a lot of paperwork," Ellison said, nodding towards the large pile of paper sitting on the desk.

"Yes, quite a lot," Mr. Pennifold chuckled. "But enough about that," he continued, pushing the pile of paper away from himself, "Tell me how you've been. How did exams go?"

"They went well enough I suppose," she replied, shrugging her shoulders. "I'm more confident in some subjects than others. I think I did pretty well in Defense against the Dark Arts ... but Herbology ... Herbology I'm not so sure about," she continued.

"Oh sweetheart, don't worry about that. I'm sure you've done fine," Mr. Pennifold smiled. "Besides, Herbology isn't a required N.E.W.T. for Ministry work." Ellison tensed at the words. She had known it would come up sooner or later. She had hoped it would be later than this though.

"Dad..." she began, but he cut her off.

"If it's still the same as when I applied, I believe-"

"Dad..."

"You only need an Exceptional in Defense against the Dark Arts, Charms-"

"Dad..."

"And ... I believe an acceptable in-"

"Dad!" she cut him off, raising her voice. Mr. Pennifold stopped talking, watching his daughter expectantly. Ellison drew in a deep breath. "Dad ... I'm not taking that Ministry job." Mr. Pennifold chuckled, as if her words had been some kind of joke.

"Honey, don't be silly. Of course you're taking the job."

"No dad. I'm not." Ellison said, determined to settle this once and for all. "We've talked about this. I told you I want to become a healer." The smile Mr. Pennifold had been wearing moments before vanished, replaced by a more serious demeanor.

"So we're still on that I see," He began, but she cut him off.

"Yes dad. We are," she said determinately. Mr. Pennifold gave an exasperated sigh.