Chapter 31

Give this chap a vote and a comment if you're excited to see the ending of this story OR if you're sad the story is ending!

"I think I got a solid E in Potions, but I'm not so sure about Transfiguration or Herbology. I wonder if there are any healing programs that will take an Acceptable N.E.W.T. in Herbology..." Ellison wondered aloud to Tom.

They had left Ellison's house nearly an hour ago and had taken a cab into the city for dinner. They were now sitting at a table for two in one of Ellison's favorite restaurants – a little family owned Italian place her parents had take her to when she was younger. Tom had gotten reservations, and upon their arrival, they had been taken immediately to a back room where two chairs and a table adorned with a single Lilly had been set up.

"I'm sure you've done fine," Tom replied, taking a bite of the pizza he had ordered.

"Let's hope so because I think I'd rather shovel troll manure than take that job from my father now."

"Mhmm," Tom nodded absentmindedly, his eyes fixed on his plate. Ellison studied him, her eyebrows furrowing.

"What is it you're not telling me?" Ellison asked, raising an eyebrow in suspicion.

"What?" Tom replied, looking up from his plate.

"You have that look on you face ... you have all evening. The look you get when you're thinking something but not saying it," Ellison replied bluntly. Tom sighed.

"I..." Tom began, trailing off. He seemed to be weighing his next words carefully. "I don't think it's such a bad idea for you to consider this position of your father's." Ellison blinked, unsure if she had heard him correctly.

"What?" She asked, a sharpness in her voice that hadn't been there before. She stared at Tom, searching for some sign that he had been joking. He had to have been pulling her leg. Certainly he wasn't being serious. Not after everything that had happened. Tom shifted uncomfortably in his seat, refusing to return Ellison's gaze.

"I only mean that ... maybe – maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to have a backup plan. Something you can fall back on incase things don't work out."

"That's funny," Ellison began, her tone derisive now, "because you had the upmost confidence in my abilities just mere hours ago."

"I still do," Tom said quickly, his eyes drawing up from the table to meet her icy ones. "It's just ... you have this opportunity right in front of you. Maybe you shouldn't write it off so quickly."

"You had plenty of opportunities staring you in the face as well and you didn't take any of them. Tell me Tom, what makes you so different?" Tom clenched his jaw.

Ellison, I can't give you what you want," Tom began, abandoning all pretenses, "a life, a future, a -"

"I never asked you to." She cut him off, but he continued.