Chapter 20

Ellison slouched in her chair, giving the restraints around her wrists as much slack as she could

Ellison slouched in her chair, giving the restraints around her wrists as much slack as she could. Marcus had left almost an hour before and she had been trying to get free ever since. After rubbing her wrists raw, she had resolved that breaking free wasn't going to be an option. She had set her efforts to wiggling free instead and had been twisting and contorting her wrists for half an hour to no avail. She jerked her hands back in frustration, a sharp pain shooting through them as the rope cut into her skin once again. She let out a sigh, staring up at the ceiling as she laid her head back against the chair. If only she had her wand.

Suddenly a thought came to her. What if she didn't need a wand? She had heard of wandless magic ... had even seen it performed before. Tom had used magic without his wand on multiple occasions. She herself had never tried it though, and her teachers had stressed the dangers of inexperienced witches and wizards attempting it. She wasn't inexperienced though. She was a seventh year, and one of the smartest in her class for that matter. And considering it was her only option, it couldn't hurt to try. She closed her eyes, trying to concentrate.

"Diffindo," she thought in her head. Nothing happened. She squeezed her eyes tighter. "Diffindo," she whispered aloud. Still nothing. Gritting her teeth she spoke in an audible voice, "Diffindo!" A sharp pain shot through the back of her hand, but the rope that had clung to her wrists fell in a heap to the floor. She held her hand up, examining it. There was a deep cut across it where her spell hadn't quite hit its mark. She wrapped her sleeve around it, holding pressure to stop the bleeding. He would be back soon. For all she knew, he was standing right outside the door. She couldn't risk trying to escape. No ... not until he came back. That would be her best, and only, chance at getting away. She bent down and picked up the rope that had restrained her just moments before. She would have to make it look as though she were still tied up. Placing her hands behind her back once again, she wrapped the thick cord around her wrists, holding the ends in the palms of her hands. Now all there was to do was wait.

~

A light 'click' sounded from across the room as the door opened. Marcus walked in, crossing the room to where she sat. Stopping in front of her, he smirked.

"Are we going to play nice now?" He asked in a mocking voice. Giving no reply, she simply stared up at him. He was probably a full foot taller than her, with broad shoulders, and large biceps that stretched against the white shirt he wore. While Grayback had been inhuman looking, Marcus was rather handsome. His hair was a honey brown and his eyes were pale blue. Looking at him, no one would know what he actually was. That, Ellison thought, was what made him so much more dangerous.

"What happens if he doesn't come for me?" Ellison asked finally. Marcus smiled.

"I happen to know that he's already on his way.

"How does he know where to find me?" She eyed him closely. If it were true, and Tom really was on his way, she needed to stall. He chuckled, kneeling down until he was eye level with her.