24. The Large Wolf in the Room

Start from the beginning

This time it didn't growl, but just looked at me, as if it was sizing me up.

"Ok," I said, still in a quiet tone, "let's see if I can see how this works, then I can get you out."

I held my breath as I edged closer to the wolf, my hands out in front of me, instinctively ready to protect me if it suddenly lept in my direction.

I inched closer and closer, and the wolf stopped moving and held still, it's nose to the ground.

It obviously knew I wasn't a threat and I felt relieved that it was no longer looking like it wanted to kill me.

I was close enough to touch it, so I slowly reached out my hand to touch the net, and my fingers grazed along the wolf's grey fur.

It was unbelievably soft, and I couldn't help the smile spread across my face knowing that I'd managed to touch one of these magnificent creatures.

I began to pull at the netting, seeing if there were any loose or damaged sections that I might be able to exploit.

The wolf was lying so stationary that I almost forgot that this giant monster was right next to me. That was until it suddenly jumped up and lunged at me, snapping and barking like I'd just attacked it.

"Woah!" I shouted, falling over onto my back as I scrambled like a crab away from the psycho wolf.

The wolf continued to bark and snap, thrashing around wildly in the net, as I scrambled back onto my feet.

"What the hell?" I said to the wolf, "What was that ab..."

I didn't finish my sentence as I was suddenly grabbed firmly from behind, a cloth placed over my mouth.

I squirmed around trying to get out of the grip of the man behind me, but he was much bigger and stronger than me. I managed to kick his shins but he didn't even flinch.

The cloth over my mouth smelt funny and I found myself feeling dizzy and my vision started to blur round the edges.

I stopped fighting, purely concentrating on staying upright before everything became heavy and my limbs just turned to jelly under me.

I landed with a thud on the floor, but for some reason it didn't hurt. My eyelids felt heavy, and I blinked, once, twice, then everything went dark.

*****************************************

I woke up with a pounding head and an aching shoulder.

"Oh shitting hell," I moaned as I stretched my body out slowly, only to discover I was lying on a concrete floor.

No wonder I was in so much pain.

I blinked my eyes, squinting against the sunlight that was shining in through a small window that was high up on the wall opposite.

Where was I?

"Hello sleepyhead," came a voice from behind me, and I jumped round in fright, then promptly winced in pain at the sudden movement.

"What are you doing here? And where are we?" I asked Emily who was sat on the floor next to me.

"We've been kidnapped," she said, matter of factly, like this was an everyday occurance.

"What?" I managed to croak out, waiting for the punchline, or for Nathan to come strolling in.

"I said, we've been kidnapped," she repeated again.

"No," I said, shaking my head and laughing at her, "I heard you the first time, I meant, what are you going on about? What do you mean kidnapped? Is this some sort of game?"