Chapter 24 - The Monsters Within

\></

"I've played nice but I'm not weak

You turn the page, I turn my cheek

Oh yeah, one too many times

Welcome to the dark side now across to fight right."

Dark Side

[SEBELL]

\></

Chapter 24 - The Monster Within

\></

As the fell behind the trees my fears began to rise. Finn had gone out with Clarke and Myles long ago and had still not come back. There was no point of them being out after dark for a hunting trip. I walked to the gate search the forest for any sight of them. I had a newly finished walkie in my hand and radioed in to Raven.

"There's no sign of them. Over." I spoke clearly.

"They could have waited more than a day. Over." She responds sounding hurt just thinking about Finn and Clarke being together.

"Come on, Rae. I sent Myle for that reason. They could be in trouble." I scanned the darkness around camp once more, "We need to go out there and look for them. Over."

"I'll round up some people and meet you at the gate in five. Over and out." She agrees.

\></

Raven and I walk cautiously through the forest with our guns ready to fire. We have been pretty silent for most of the trip.

"I'm sorry for bringing Grayson up yesterday. I know it hurt you the most when he died." Raven finally speaks.

I take a deep breath, "It's fine Rae. I shouldn't have snapped at you. I just miss him a lot, you know?"

"I know, I do too. Everyday. But you can't blame yourself for what happened to him. Everytime you two went out there it was a risk that you both understood. It's not your fault."

I just nodded in response wanting her to drop the subject. Whether I believe her or not wasn't going to bring him back. And I don't think I would ever forgive myself for that. He should be here on Earth with us. We used to talk about our dreams to come down here, basically who can come up with the smarter plan. We would talk for hours about which ideas would work and which problems each situation would have. We would often bet on whose plan was smart before asking his parents. They were both engineers on the Ark. During one of those bets we came up with the way Raven got down here. You knew it would actually work. Grayson was my person. While Raven and Finn had just begun dating at the time so forth wheeling was exactly our idea of a good time. The person that could make me laugh when I was on the verge of tears. The person that would calm me down after my adoptive mom died.

Only steps in front for Raven and I the bushes rustle. My first instinct is to raise the gun highest in fear of grounders. We inch forward slowly as Raven makes a call out through the walkie. The suspense builds as we take every step closer to the bushes. I look to Raven and talk a deep breath before pushing the bushes apart. I am shocked to see Myles lying on the ground with two arrows sticking out of him.

"Myles?" I question, there's no sign of anyone else, "What happened? Where's Finn and Clarke?"

He looked up at me and trembled to get the words out, "Th-The grounders took them."