The Selection Series - The Runaway Family - Chapter 7

"Am I still going to be the heir?" I whispered into my mother's ear.

"Can you keep your priorities straight?" She snapped back at me. "I don't know if we're even staying in Angeles now. We could be going away forever. I don't know if you'll ever be able to return."

"This is my home, Mother." I started to tear up.

"It may not be once Marid makes it his own."

We were led down the hall. The closer we got to the entrance to the palace, I could hear the screams and protests. I've never heard a protest like this before. I saw signs through the windows.

"Follow along, Lillian." My father pointed at me. "We're going to get on a plane."

"To where?"
"Where it is safe, Lillian. You need to stop worrying about your status and more about your future." My dad yelled. We were led to the side of the palace where the plane was already there for us. The moment we stepped outside, I was practically blinded by the flashes from the paparazzi.

"Stay back!" The guards yelled at the public while we crammed into the plane.

I sat down in my seat, the seat I always sit in when we travel.

The energy felt different.

Typically, when we would travel places, there was loud commotion, all of us getting ready for a trip. Noah would generally try his best to annoy us all, Kerrtu would be rambling on about how great the trip was going to be, I was trying to stay sane. My mom would be stressing out, my dad calming her down.

Not today. We all buckled our seatbelts and sat in silence. Noah was quiet for once. Kerrtu practiced her breathing techniques that apparently calm her down. I was fiddling my thumbs, aching for good news.

"We take off in 90 seconds." The pilot came back and told us. "Oh I'm sorry. Your Majesty." He bowed in front of my mother. It was obvious he was just as frazzled as we were.
"Where are we going?" Noah asked.

"Noah!" My dad stared him down. "No questions at this time."

"It's okay," the pilot nodded. "We're going to fly out East until we can find a safe place for you to stay. Preferably out of the country." He sighed before saying the next part. "We suspect that your family are victims of an upcoming attack. Conducted by Marid Illea, of course. We need you to stay safe. We have security here." The pilot said.

"Shoot! I need to issue a public statement to the people. They must be outrageous."My mom immediately unbuckled her seatbelt and stood up for the door.

"The people are outrageously mad, for sure. But there's nothing you can do. We need to keep you safe and we can't have you talking to the public or giving statements." The pilot blocked the door before my mom could walk over there. She turned back to her seat. "Your Majesty," the pilot bowed down one more time before returning to his seat in the front.

I felt the plane rise from the ground. Before I knew it, we were up off of the ground. I looked over the city of Angeles one last time. All it's beauty and lights. I saw people on the street. Grieving, crying, but coming together. I wanted nothing more but to be there with them too, assuring them it's going to be okay, that I loved them very much.

Soon, the lights and the people disappeared. We were flying over mountains and hills.

That was the last time I ever was in Angeles.