94. Growing Up

To preface this, I know it's been awhile.. For once, I really just got carried away with my life. In the just over a year that I've been away, I've really grown up. Not just in age (although I did hit the big 2-0! Yay for officially not being a "stupid teenager" anymore!) but in maturity as well. I ended up with the man that my last few poems before I went incognito were about. Today is August 10, 2018, and in just 40 more days, I get to marry my best friend. I've also switched career paths, and been promoted within my new company. I really found out who my friends are, and I've learned that it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. For the first time in my life, I am at peace with the woman that stares back in the mirror, and so this poem is about the man that helped me get there. I value my past, the highest highs and the lowest lows, because they've shaped me into the woman he fell in love with, and I can't wait to share this new chapter of my life with the world through my writing. To anybody out there that's still reading, thank you for your clearly undying support. The comments and views on my work are what drove me to keep writing, and I hope that my little emotional outlet has let someone else along the way know they're not alone. Now, enough talk. Let's get to the real stuff!

When I'd given up on everything,

You put me back up on my feet.

You gave me back my heart,

And my reason to believe.

I've laughed with you, cried with you,

And everything in between.

We've grown together and learned together,

And prepared for whatever our future may bring.

We've had our late nights and early mornings,

And sometimes we agree to disagree.

But no matter where life takes us,

I know this is where I'm meant to be.

Through a change of careers,

My moods, and the weather,

You've never let me down,

You're still here, forever together.

So even if the toilet seat is up,

Or when the trash overflows,

Every time the stove catches fire,

Or there are no clean bowls,

For better or worse,

And with all of my heart,

I'll stay by your side,

Until death do us part.

I cannot wait until September nineteenth. The day I become a Holcomb is the day the rest of my life begins.