Chapter 10

Chapter 10

In New York City, everything is always moving. On this November day, New Yorkers shuffled past each other through the snow, wearing their black coats and talking on their smartphones. Their own voices were drowned out by the voices of those around them, but they kept talking. The citizens bumped into each other as they walked, ran, or trudged through the cold, white field below the skyscrapers.

But for once, the people of New York all stopped at the same time.

The Times Square's electronic billboards flashed to life with a breaking news alert, followed by a video taken by a news helicopter.

Aiming the camera down at the plaza for the Genesis Labs 2014 Expo, the helicopter showed disturbing imagery.

The entire expo was being torn apart. The camera captured a rock-like man throwing a display board into a police car, causing the vehicle to split in half and careen into a nearby building. Soldiers in blue armor were brought to their knees as a smiling girl walked by, holding two fingers to her head. Something blurry and purple moved through the crowd of injured citizens, shooting by them at unnatural speeds. A US general ducked as a giant exosuit smashed through the plaza grounds. The sound of gunfire rang in the air as smoke consumed the helicopter's vision.

Everyone in Times Square stopped, watching this disaster unfold.

For a moment, the camera view was shrouded by smoke. Then, a jagged bolt of electricity shot through the smoke like a bullet through a gun, hitting the helicopter. Like a web, the blue haze shot across the camera.

A scream from the pilot rang out, "We've lost power! We've l-"

His voice was interrupted as the helicopter turned over in midair. The helicopter footage ended there.

Above the field of snow, miles away, representatives from around the world watched the same footage in the United Nations building. As soon as they started watching, the level of panic and confusion rose to astronomical levels.

"How can these people have superpowers?!"

"Who caused this catastrophe!?!"

"Is this some kind of terrorist attack?"

The footage played over and over as the UN argued and panicked amongst itself. The representatives questioned one another, pointing at the footage being displayed on the large monitor. Others called their country, telling them to mobilize their military forces. And a few sat in their seats silently, thinking over what they had just seen.

But the mixture of silence, rage and panic was broken as the elevator opened. A man with slicked-back brown hair and a thin face exited the elevator, adjusting the tie on his torn-up new suit.

"Ah, it's nice to be back in here. As I recall, you kicked me out last time for trying to bribe that Austrian official with biological weapons."

Judas Silver flashed a grin at the representatives as he walked up to the monitor, followed by two of his Unity troops. The UN stared in awe at Judas and the shining cobalt knights that walked beside him. Dr. Turin followed closely behind down the steps, looking thoroughly uncomfortable.

"Judas, we thought you were dead!" a chorus of people shouted in different ways.

Smiling, Judas replied, "The rumors of my death were...well, you know the rest."

He turned to one of his guards, "Thankfully, I was saved when this man took the bullet for me. Show them, Commander Phillips."

The bulky guard on the left turned so his shoulder faced the representatives. A bullet was still wedged halfway through his body armor.

The US representative sighed in relief, saying, "Thank goodness. How are you feeling, Mr. Silver?"

A twinkle in his eye, Judas took a deep breath and replied, "Well, after what we've all seen today, I think we all aren't feeling the greatest."

"How did you survive that attack?"

"After Commander Phillips took the bullet for me, we left in my private helicopter. My personal medic tended to me while we flew here. And while I flew, I thought about what I saw on-ground."

The representatives were silent.

Judas looked up and went on, "I have never seen anything like what I saw today. But, I think that with my resources, we have a shot at stopping this new epidemic."

"About that, Mr. Silver," one of the British reps questioned, "I'm grateful you're alive, but I have a question. Let's assume for now that these children do inexplicably have superpowers. Why did they come after you?"

All eyes were on Mr. Silver again, but they had transformed from wide eyes of relief to distrustful stares.

Judas explained, "I asked myself that same question on the flight here, and I have one explanation: I don't mean to boast, but the people of Utopia consider me their veritable savior, simply because I made life easier for them. I've revolutionized my city with the technology at my disposal, and they love me for it. Perhaps this super-powered "shadow" group wanted to get rid of Utopia's figurehead."

"That would be plausible, but that doesn't explain how they received their abilities. Could you offer your personal opinion on that, Mr. Silver?" The British rep asked, eyebrow raised.

Smiling back, Judas began, "From my research in the genetic field, I believe that there is a small chance that people could be born with greater strength and speed than others. But genetic mutations rarely happen, and definitely not to this extent."

"So how do you explain it, Mr. Silver?"

Watching everyone in the room, Judas replied, "I'll need to experiment on them to further determine how they received their abilities. Even from my own knowledge on genetics, this isn't something I've ever seen before."

The UN representatives talked amongst themselves for a while, considering his offer with great skepticism. Judas sat patiently, watching the footage over and over again.

Finally, one of the members spoke, "We'll need to discuss this further, Mr. Silver, but we'd like to hear what your plans are to detain these...super-powered people."

Judas nodded, and continued, "My Unity Police Force is your best option. They're already in the vicinity because of the expo, and I have more flying in soon. If they can capture one superhuman, I can track the rest. I'll need multiple test subjects for any experiments to work; this being a potential new species and all.

To keep any of these superhumans from escaping Utopia, we can put the city into lockdown. My troops can form blockades around the city, then detain our targets. My new force field technology will also be of use on the outer walls. And if I alter our security cameras to military-grade, we can keep the downtown area monitored at all times, in case of any uprisings. My communications team keep you updated at all times if we proceed. "

The murmuring resumed, and Judas waited.

After more debate, the same man, who previously spoke, replied, "We will debate this further, Mr. Silver. Just know that if we go through with this, we'll have CIA operatives with you, so they can monitor the situation for us as well."

Judas responded, "It's a necessary caution, sir. I understand."

The UN rep nodded, then said, "We'll let you know when we've made our decision. Thank you, Mr. Silver. We're glad you made it out of there alive."

"Makes two of us, sir." Judas smiled, "Makes two of us."