Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Time: November 13, 2017.

Wednesday.

"We're live in 15 seconds." the cameraman announced.

Everyone was in position, except for one man.

"Are you ready, Mr. Silver?"

"Yes." a voice replied.

"Applying coolant device now."

A large device snapped on to Judas Silver's back and around his chest. He grunted as it locked into place.

"Activating now."

Judas felt his body become suddenly cooler, and the pain left.

The burns however, would always be there to stay.

"I'll put your jacket on for you, sir."

Judas nodded, and his assistant put on his jacket and buttoned it up.

"Live in 3...2...1...We're on air!"

A young, lively man sat behind a large, polished wood desk. His suit was black with a blue tie, and he was grinning from ear to ear. He looked sharp and intelligent, everything a businessman should be.

"Hello, City of Utopia! As you may know, I am Judas Silver, CEO of Genesis Labs. And I am here to talk to YOU about the 2017 Genesis Labs Tech Expo!"

Judas clapped his hands, and the table began to glow.

He continued, "We'll have plenty for you to see, touch, and even pilot at the expo! Here are a few of our options!"

Judas lifted his hands up from the table, and holographic images appeared.

"First, we've got our robotics division! We've been working on more ways to enhance your living space. One of the ways to do this is by creating helper robots to meet your needs. We've also got defense drones in the making. For the expo, you'll be able to pilot one of our exosuit stimulators!"

A video began to play on one of the screens. A small boy gave a thumbs up as he stomped along in the stimulator.

"We've also got our space division! Our scientists have found many planets over the years, but now is the time to travel to them. They'll be showing you our recent efforts in the satellite foray, along with spaceship concepts they've designed for lunar travel!"

A video of a sleek, silver spaceship materialized next to photos of Genesis Labs satellites.

Judas smiled, "And of course, our smartphone selection for this fall will be available to preview at your leisure! We've got a new G5 smartphone, complete with holographic display. There will also be a new G6 tablet, coming in four different sizes!"

Judas spread his hands out over the table, and many images of the phones began to float over his head.

The CEO snapped his fingers, and the logo for the Tech Expo appeared,

"And that's just a preview at what's in store! We've been working for the past year to make this our best Tech Expo yet! We'll have a special exhibit that you'll want to check out at the end of the expo, which I will be presenting! Check it out. Thank you for your time and I hope to see you there!"

In a dark, underground basement, a monitor watching the announcement was turned off.

The lights came on, revealing several people sitting in chairs. They all looked bitter and weary after seeing this announcement. Most were teenagers, but some had just hit their 20's. Some were wearing ragged clothes, others had clothes they had recently stolen. All were grimacing.

A boy around 16 years of age walked up to a podium next to the monitor. He looked different from the others. He was wearing a black bodysuit with a gun in its holster. He had blonde hair, blue eyes, and a vengeful look on his face.

The boy spoke, "Friends, I too, am enraged by what we have just seen. Our creator, alive and well as always, speaking with a tongue of lies. And people believe those lies because of what they see. They see a kind, intelligent businessman who only wants to further modernize their lives, to make them better."

He slammed his gun onto the podium, "But we see the truth! We see the man who captured us and dissected us like rats in a lab! We see a man who, when our parents started asking questions, hired mercenaries to hunt them down! He is a man who will stop at nothing to see us back in the test chambers!"

The teenagers cheered. Someone's skin spiked up furiously, and another began to hover in the air.

The boy smiled at their response, and went on, "We all remember the day when we escaped, don't we?"

The people responded by nodding their heads.

"We may have escaped then, but we were never truly free. Our humanity had been taken from us, we became like dogs. I remember the days when there was no food, and no one would offer us shelter. There were too many of us to feed. So we had to steal from them to survive. The past three years were a painful three years."

The people's heads lowered, remembering the dark days behind them.

The boy's face grew more angered, "And we were never alone. Silver sent his mercenaries after us, to capture us and bring us back "home." He wanted his "children" back so that he could make more people with our...gifts. So they hunted us down in secret, without the knowledge of the blind public who adhere to his every command. Not all of us made it, and we who survived can all agree that we have changed."

The boy loaded his gun, "We have become stronger. We've been training our powers day after day, some of us to the breaking point. We've even secretly sabotaged a few of Silver's plans. But now I am confident that with our training and determination, we can fully take the fight to whatever Silver and whatever he's planning for us."

"So on Friday, we will attack the expo. We'll find Judas, and we'll get revenge for what he's done to us. The man is a monster and he must have his comeuppance. And I know what you're thinking; what about the people there? What about their families? Will they be hurt?"

The teenagers looked at each other, then back at their leader.

The boy responded, "There are casualties in war. When we kill Silver, we destroy the expo. We take everything down. Remember that those people in the crowds are the same people who wouldn't help us in our hour of need. Why should we do the same for them?!"

The teenagers nodded in agreement.

"We are better than them now, and we're going to prove that tomorrow." the boy announced.

The people stood up from their seats and cheered. The uproar filled the basement, and the boy sat back down. They flocked to him, yelling and whooping with excitement and fervor. The Resistance was ready.