Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Time: November 12, 2017

Tuesday.

Aaron Moore awoke to a beeping alarm. He sat up and rolled himself out of bed, saying, "Deactivate Alarm." His white smartphone responded with a chirp, and became silent.

The tired 13 year-old patted down his hair and dressed. He was now wearing blue sweats, a black sweater, and blue-and-orange shoes. Aaron went to observe himself in the mirror. He was white and had blue eyes and brown hair. He had very few freckles on his face, but those that were there were big. He was also fairly tall for his age, and weighed around 115 pounds.

An ordinary boy.

Aaron slipped his smartphone into his pocket and went downstairs for breakfast. While he ate, his two younger brothers played with their food, making him laugh. Dad was already off to work, and his mom happily packed their lunches. Aaron took his lunch, and the front door slid open.

Above him, he could see the metropolitan skyscrapers that had made the city of Utopia famous. They were hundreds of floors tall, and many of them littered the skyline. Most were shining white or grey, and they reflected the autumn orange of the trees below. It looked like Aaron was standing under a giant sunset, stretching across the buildings. Aaron smiled, and began his walk to school.

"Hey Aaron!"

Down the road, his friend Cade was coming from his house. He was wearing a green T-shirt and blue jeans, and sporting a baseball cap on his head.

Aaron smiled and waved, "Hey Cade! What's up?"

He was always glad to see him. Cade was one of his oldest friends; they had known each other since second grade. Cade was a good friend. He was honest, funny, and knew how to have a good time. He had been on a trip for the past three weeks up on Arrowhead.

"How was the trip, man?" Aaron asked.

"Cold." Cade responded, laughing. He went on,

"Seriously though, I think that beat our Mammoth trip by a mile! There was way more to do. I even went snowboarding for the first time."

Aaron knew Cade wasn't the most coordinated guy. "How'd that go?"

"Pretty sure I broke my face."

The two friends laughed.

"Did you hear the news?" Aaron asked.

"What about?" Cade questioned.

"The Tech Expo! You haven't been gone long enough to forget!"

"Oh yeah, when is that? I wanna say...Friday?"

"Yep, Friday. We should go right after school."

Cade scratched his head, "I might have to do a retest for Science. Hate that stuff."

Aaron shrugged, "I can always give you a hand if you want."

"How do you even ace that class?"

"You know what I always say: If you're gonna be a scientist, you've gotta know the material."

Cade rolled his eyes, "Yeah, like that doesn't scream Teacher's Pet at all."

The two went on, heading for their school, Utopia High.

Forty minutes later...

"Can they walk any slower? Man..."

"Keep following him."

"They're like snails."

"Everyone's like a snail to you. Now keep following them."

"Fine. I'm entering the school now."