Chapter Twenty Three

A/N: First off, Thank you so much for 4K! I wish I could do more updates or something but I'm on vacation and can't update for a while, sorry. But thank you! Enjoy the chapter!

*Shay's POV*

"That one kind of looks like a rabbit's ears." Ansel suggested, as I just shook my head.

"No way!" He sat up, shrugged at me, then laid back down.

Kelsey, Ansel, Ryder, and I all lay out in the pasture trying to point out stars. Kelsey saw it in some movie and forced us all to do it. We haven't seen anything worth while, I can't even find either one of the Dippers.

"This isn't how it is in the movies, it's just plain boring." Ryder whispered next to me, Kelsey sat up, sending him a glare.

"Ryder, just let her enjoy it. I think she honestly just wants to spend time with Ansel."

Ryder shrugged, looking around the night sky.

I figured he'd be mad at me since what I said yesterday morning, but he doesn't seem to be. I insulted not only his dad, but him too. I still felt horrible.

"Ryder?" I whispered.

Ryder rolled to his left to face me. I scooted away from Kelsey to keep her hearing our conversation.

"I'm really sorry about yesterday morning, I-"

Ryder's face softened, a hand moving to cup my cheek.

"It's alright, truthfully, it did hurt. I mean, whether he was a bad man or not, he still was my father. I just wish I knew him better, You know, I never called him 'Dad', only 'Boss'. What kind of kid does that? I didn't mean to snap at you either. You are the only constant in my life, ever. My mother was sketchy in my childhood, sometimes she was there, sometimes she wasn't."

My heart hurt, and my thoughts went out to the small boy who grew up all alone.

"What would you do when she left?"

Ryder sighed, moving closer to me, as if he didn't want another soul to hear.

"I'd make dinner for Eddie and me, then make sure that he was showered and in bed."

"Eddie?"

Ryder face made my heart shatter.

"Eddie, he was my brother. He was killed by one of my father's men, it was an accident."

My hand went to cover my mouth, a tear drop floating down my cheeks.

"Oh my God, Ryder."

I leaned forward, wrapping an arm around him.

"I can't lose you, Shay." His voice came out in a whimper. "You're my constant."

I closed my eyes as tears fell down my cheeks, my head in Ryder's chest.

I glanced up to his face, he was staring down at me, a sneaky little tear glistening on his cheek.

"I don't want to lose you either, Ryder."

A weak smile covered his cheeks, causing my stomach to erupt in butterflies.

"Oh Shay," His voice sounded like a purr, as he wrapped his arm around the small of my back pulling me to his chest.

I feel his lips press a hard kiss on my forehead, as he glances back up to the forgotten sky.

"It's beautiful out here. No lights, no distractions, just the sky." He murmured, as I heard a light giggle behind me.