Chapter 21: The Reason Why

Chapter 21

------------------------------

The Reason Why

The first thing Ari noticed was that she had transported from the floor to the bed, and that she had slept through half of yesterday. The second thing she noticed was that Lettvind, Drepe, and Solv were seated on the bed, her back facing them. "She's so amazing... It's a wonder why she's so beautiful compared to the rest of her kind," one of them whispered. Somebody ran their hand through her hair, organizing her curly hair. "I've liked Ari ever since I saved her, even though the punishment of staying with her was a harsh one," it admitted.

She decided to fake her sleep, listening to the strange confessions. She recognized the voice as Lettvind. "My only wish is that she would understand what I'm trying to say."

"She's a wonderful person, and she knows that. I treat her as if I've known her for years, and she should recognize that. I'm sorry if this is going too far, but I seriously have this titanic crush on Ari Dark-Wing Miraakdottir," he said, feeling her tiara-like brown horns. Then, he pecked her ear, thinking that Ari was in a deep sleep. She tried to keep still, but to her, that was a total sign of disrespect, and she hated the fact that he did this while she slept.

She shifted her legs, and Solv noticed, "Letty, she's awake, you oaf! I told you expressing your 'love' to her wasn't made to happen!" Seeing that they didn't buy it anymore, she sat up and stared at Malekithson, giving him a glare that meant 'get away'. "You're just like you're father; a total spoiled creep!" Ari shouted at him, shoving him away from her. He stood up, his eyes now sparkling a dark red.

Drepe tried to calm Lettvind, seeing that his sensitive heart was obviously torn to bits by his secret leaking. "If you don't mind, I'm going to go outside now," he squeaked. The whole room went silent as Letty quickly stormed out the door. The rest, including Narfi, glared at her, making he feel like she had just killed an army of innocent souls. Ari stared back at them, trying to act confused. Then, she realized what she had to do.

She got up, and without changing her clothes or fixing her hair, she ran out the bunker in search for her friend. She sped through the terrifying forest, each stony branch whacking her as she pushed them aside. Her eyes filled with tears, realizing that she should not have pushed Lettvind away. She cared for him, but not enough to equal what he said in there. "Letty! Please, where are you?!" Ari screamed while panting, fear now striking her heart.

As she grew tired of searching, and her legs started to ache, she yelled his full name one last time in a desperate attempt to attract him. "Lettvind Kyarlin Malekithson! Come here!" Liquid flooded down her cheeks, the tears that she held in finally escaping the dam of her eyes. She finally reached a lake; the lake that was in the memory. It glowed a greenish color, and all signs of life were mutated yet wondrous. The grey grass around the lake seemed to have specs of blue floating around them, their radioactive presence making Ari lightheaded. She stumbled over to the water, poking one of her fingers into the water, but harshly pulling it out as it started to burn. Is this lake made out of some highly acidic chemical? She thought, poking the thick substance. Letting her curiosity get the best of her, she put a droplet on the palm of her hand, eyeing the lake water. Then, as slowly as she could, she lowered her nose to it, almost ready to test its scent.

"I wouldn't sniff that if I were you. Its toxins are more dangerous than the air around this place." It was Lettvind. Seeing this, Ari sat down on the root of a tree, relieved that she found her friend. "Explain to me, Lettvind, why you did that," she demanded, her face growing stern. Letty was resting in the thick branches of a dead tree, which was surprisingly still standing. At first, she wondered how he got up there, but then she remembered that he was an elf. He stared back at her, his face wet with tears.