Stranger

A/N: Thank you for sticking with me these past few months. I've appreciated your messages, comments, votes, and otherwise nonstop support. As a thanks, I've prepared what I hope to be a well-awaited update.

-Rose

Clarke spent the next few days prowling the castle in search of any possible news about Lexa or her mother, and to keep an eye on Echo. She knew Echo's reaction to her statement put her in the front of a line of suspects who could have written that letter. And yet, Clarke couldn't simply banish thoughts of all the others, just in case. 

The room of requirement surrounded her with ample thinking space. The gurgling brook that she had kissed Lexa near mere weeks ago remained the only source of sound around her. Water splashed over smoothed stones, and Clarke plunged her hands into the chilly water to pluck one out. Her hands glistened and dripped on the rock that she was perched on. The water seemed to shake a bit of the daze off, and Clarke began her daily ritual of dissecting the prophecy in her mind, looking for answers. 

She started with the first two lines. Where sky and earth meet; and unbreakable bond made. Somewhere, somewhere in the world, the sky and the earth met, and people made an unbreakable bond. Clarke mused over what that could mean. Were the sky and the earth people? Did they make the unbreakable bond? Was the unbreakable bond actually an Unbreakable Vow? 

Clarke closed her eyes and rubbed her temples, feeling the water on her hands dripping down the side of her face. Thinking about the prophecy usually ended in a headache and more questions than breakthroughs. 

Clarke's thoughts were interrupted by a soft cough behind her. 

"I figured since you weren't by the lake, your common room, the Great Hall, or anywhere on the grounds, I should check here." Bellamy sat down on the rock next to her and peered into the glistening water near their feet. "But if you came here to be alone, just say the word and I'll be gone in an instant."

"That's okay. I've been avoiding people too much recently."

"I would, too, given your situation."

Clarke looked up and peered into Bellamy's dark eyes, searching for any sort of explanation as to why he was here. Asking seemed too blunt, and he didn't seem keen on divulging any time soon. He simply dropped his gaze back toward the water, watching the fish dart about underneath.

"When they..." Clarke wasn't sure Bellamy would answer her question, but she had to try. She needed to know what Lexa and her mother may have to face. "When they took your mother. How did you know it was them? The Phoenix?"

Bellamy waited a few moments, so long that Clarke wasn't entirely sure he would answer. But he pursed his lips and began to speak. "How could we not know? They blew through our house like a hurricane wind. They didn't leave anything untouched, besides Octavia. They took Mom and she was dead in hours. They even..."

He paused, and Clarke realized maybe it was too soon to ask him. 

"They dropped her head off at our house at midnight, before the ministry had even arrived."

Clarke breathed out a soft breath, unsure of what to say. She imagined waking up the next morning and seeing Lexa's severed head perched on her bed, the blankets unruffled and untouched besides the drops of fresh blood dotting the quilt.

"What do you mean they only left Octavia untouched?"

"I wasn't home. I was working late.  A security gig. I got home just in time to hide the head from Octavia so she wouldn't see it."