Prophecy

Clarke hardly noticed as Professor Roan sent Wells back to his seat somewhat sheepishly. Wells stared at his feet the entire time, a blush consuming his face. Clarke's head was spinning. She could sense Lexa's eyes on her, as well as the rest of the class's. She couldn't bring herself to meet Lexa's eyes. What would they convey? Pity? Sympathy? Embarrassment? Anger? Clarke almost didn't want to know.

"Well, is it true?" Finn asked, raising his head from its normal bowed position. He seemed almost bitter, rather than excited about the gossip. Professor Roan opened his mouth to corral the class's attention back to him, but no words came out.

"Of course it isn't," Lexa piped up. Clarke was thankful that Lexa took charge of the conversation, as she wasn't even sure she could speak yet.

"Clarke and I were practicing the spell we needed to learn for today's test. Clarke was awful at it, and I had to help her so she wouldn't fail the first challenge in front of the whole class. Did you see her trying to do it yesterday? She probably tried the spell a thousand times and it never worked."

Clarke stomach did a front flip as her relief turned to rage. Lexa had just insulted her in front of the entire class. Clarke couldn't tell if she was doing it to save their asses or because she actually felt it. Either way, it was embarrassing.

"Well, then, Miss Trigeda, I will have to test your claim. It still holds that the two of you snuck out of your common room at night, so I will take five points from Slytherin," half of the class groaned. "I'm disappointed in my own house. However, those points are redeemable if every member of your house can perform the spell correctly. Who would like to go first? Miss Griffin?"

Clarke's heart continued its ferocious beating as she made her way to the front of the room. Professor Roan set a match on the empty table he was standing at. With her back to the rest of the class, Clarke took a deep breath and imagined the smiles on her housemates faces when they earn their house points back.

Closing her eyes and commanding the match to change, Clarke spoke the incantation. When she opened her eyes, a shiny needle sat where the match had been. The professor nodded his approval as Clarke let out a heavy breath. She stumbled back to her seat and collapsed into it, receiving a smile from Lexa. Clarke merely scowled and looked toward the front of the class, where Wells was now preparing to perform the spell.

The class dragged on as students nervously trudged to the front, and proudly strutted back to their seats. So far every Slytherin had been able to complete the spell. The only one left was Echo.

Unlike most other students, Echo sauntered to the front of the classroom with confidence. Clarke expected her to succeed, she wouldn't want to cost her own house points. Her behavior certainly pointed to her success. On the other hand, Clarke couldn't believe the other girl had managed to master the spell.

Clarke tilted her head to see around the tall boy sitting in front of her. Echo raised her wand and pointed it at the match, mumbling the incantation.

Nothing happened.

Echo tried again, this time slightly louder. Professor Roan began shaking his head slightly.

Nothing happened.

Echo tried once more. This time, a needle finally sat on the table, taking the place of the match. Clarke turned to Lexa in excitement, forgetting her anger. Lexa had her head turned, tucking her wand away in the pocket of her robe.

"She actually did it!" Clarke whispered after Echo passed by her.

"I knew she would. She's too proud of her blood status to fail her first challenge at school, no matter how lazy she is. Her parents would hear about it immediately and she'd receive a howler by dinner tonight," Lexa whispered back as the professor stood in front of the class, ready to talk.