One Found

The glowing blue orb suddenly seemed to shut off. The intense blue aura dimmed and it no longer produced the whispering voices. Clarke's gaze shifted from the orb to Lexa, whose green eyes offered no explanation. Lexa quickly pocketed the orb as another student walked past. Once it was no longer in sight, Clarke shook her head and was brought back to her senses.

"Where did you find this? I don't care if 'it's complicated' or anything like that. I need to know... I need to know because it said my name."

Lexa sighed, closing her eyes and placing her fingertips on her temple. When she opened her eyes, she began to speak.

"This orb came into my possession a long time ago, long before I met you. I never thought much of it. It was old. It was unreliable. It was foolish to think I could be a part of something great. I pushed it out of my thoughts for a long time. That is, until I met you. I can say that this is the first time the orb revealed your name. Until today it was just the prophecy and some dark shadows. Anyway, the day that I met you, I knew you were the subject of the prophecy. Upon returning from Diagon Alley, I noticed that the orb was glowing much brighter than before. After a closer inspection, all of the dust covering it was gone. This struck me as peculiar. The orb seemed to be anticipating something. That something... Was you. I had just met you, and the orb seemed to know that. I wasn't sure though, so I kept the orb where it was. However, I was rifling through my trunk last night to find something, and my hand brushed against this. I hadn't brought it. Somehow it got into my trunk and made its way here. That's when I knew. So here I am, showing you," Lexa took a deep breath. She hadn't realized she had taken the orb back out of her pocket and was running her hands over it. The glow was beginning to return.

"That's impossible," Clarke's voice was wary. "The orb isn't sentient, it's a piece of glass with some magical words in it. It didn't bring itself here to find me. This is ridiculous."

Clarke seemed to be trying to reassure herself more than anything.

"Magic works in mysterious ways."

"No, I'm not special. There has to be a mistake. I'm just a freak. I have no father, I was raised a muggle and I'm terrible at magic. I have no friends and I-" Clarke looked at Lexa, who seemed taken aback by her claims.

"I'm sorry... I shouldn't have said that. I used to think that, but that was before coming here. I have friends at Hogwarts. But still, I'm not special. There's nothing extraordinary about me. I'm just Clarke."

"That's where you're wrong, Clarke Griffin. Where you see something ordinary, other people see extraordinary. Wells, that boy Finn, Harper... me," Lexa let the last word hang in the air. "You're special, you just can't see it yourself yet. And as for your father, can you tell me how he died?"

"I don't know," Clarke's eyes grew wide as she put the pieces of the puzzle together. "You don't mean?"

"To solve the mystery of a powerful one downed," Lexa recited.

Clarke sat on the edge of her seat. "Maybe..."

"Clarke, as much as you want to know about your father, we can't go and manipulate this prophecy. It is merely a possible explanation. You don't mess with fate, especially not a prophecy like this," Lexa warned.

"I know, I know," Clarke sighed. "I say we just ignore the prophecy for now, just stick to our studies. If answers begin to pop up, we can turn to the prophecy for guidance."

"That's right. I'll keep it hidden so our roommate doesn't find it and go blabbering to the rest of the school."

The comment elicited a smile from Clarke. At that moment, she glanced at her watch and nearly catapulted from her seat.