Origin

AN: Hi guys! Sorry for the long wait for this chapter. I know I promised an update few weeks ago, but life got crazy and I had to postpone writing for a while. I hope you like this new chapter and I would LOVE some more feedback about the story. It's been hard to find inspiration to write lately and I think hearing more feedback would motivate me to write more. Anyway, enough from me, enjoy the next chapter!
-Rose

The moment the orb hit the oak desk, the dull shine was replaced by a brilliant glow. The blue glow lit up the oak desk beneath it, reflecting off of its shiny surface. A disembodied voice began to speak, narrating the shadows that danced behind the smooth glass.

"Where the sky and earth meet, an unbreakable bond made,
Until the end, ne'er shall it fade.
To solve the mystery of a powerful one downed,
The answer lies in the mind of one found.
Clues hidden in the faces of friends,
But solutions acquired from one making amends.
Move quickly, for time will soon expire,
And the life of an innocent be lost to the fire."

As the orb finished its eerie song, Clarke took a deep breath and awaited the appearance of her name in the orb, but it didn't come. Part of her yearned to believe it had never appeared in the first place, but there was no possibility of that. The prophecy was about Clarke Griffin, daughter of Jake and Abby Griffin, destined to destroy the Phoenix.

The orb dimmed again as the voice drifted off and the shadows ceased their swirling. Had they not just watched the orb glow and listened to its prophecy, they might never have suspected it housed any importance at all. Silence hung like dense foliage in the forest. Kane was the first to speak.

"Miss Trigeda, are you aware that it is a severe crime to be in possession of a prophecy not documented in the Department of Mysteries?" His voice wasn't harsh, however. It was silky, as if he was more intrigued by the orb than by how it came upon his desk.

Lexa looked at her lap, "Yes sir, I know."

"She's not going to be punished, is she? It's not like she stole it!" Clarke protested, before leaning over to Lexa and whispering, "you didn't steal it, right?"

"Prophecies in the Department of Mysteries are enchanted, you can't steal them. If anyone except for the Keeper of Mysteries or subject of the prophecy attempt to remove them from their stand, they will be overcome by insanity. Besides, this prophecy, as the Headmaster said, never made it to the Department of Mysteries. It is undocumented."

Kane seemed impressed by Lexa's explanation, "How did you know that? It usually isn't common knowledge."

"I must have read about it somewhere, I think," Lexa's cool exterior dropped for a moment as she shifted slightly in her seat, a gesture Clarke was sure only she recognized. Lexa was lying.

"That must have been some deep reading," Kane mentioned, giving no indication that he thought she was lying. "However, it does not change the fact that you are illegally in possession of an undocumented prophecy. Please tell us how you came about it."

Lexa took a deep breath, exhaling nervously. It was the first crack in her armor Clarke had ever noticed.

"It was a few years ago," Lexa began. "One summer I was going with Anya to help her get supplies for school. Naturally, we visited Gringotts first. One goblin took Anya to her vault and one took me to mine. I was just going to grab a few coins for some ice cream and maybe a book from Flourish and Blotts. Anya offered to lend me some of hers, but I wanted to use my own. The goblin opened my vault and the prophecy was sitting on a ledge above my money. I have no idea how it got there or what it was for, but it was in my vault so I knew there must have been a reason for it. Rather than alert the goblins that someone had been in my vault, I decided to take it and learn more about it first. I decided not to tell Anya, she would chastise me for being so naive and tell me to inform the goblins. I took it home and put it in one of my drawers, forgetting about it for a while. It was dull and the prophecy was whispered in a hushed voice. I figured it must have been fake or something."