05 | Just a Moment

NATE

I couldn't believe him. My stupid, stupid brother picking a fight with Rob.

I was totally seething; I couldn't help it when I thought about what had just happened. My jaw clenched as I glared at a piece of bad motel art on the wall of the waiting room I was in, with the principal's office door just a few steps away. His well-dressed secretary sat further across the room behind a desk, typing away on her computer. I heard a clock ticking loudly, and the muffled sound of voices in the principal's office, but it was all being drowned out by footsteps from the constant pacing Lia was doing. Back and forth, back and forth, she must have been doing this for about fifteen minutes as we waited for Rob and Tyler. She looked worried, her hands were rubbing together, and she couldn't stay still. Her steps got louder each time she passed me; she was completely lost in thought and it was putting me more on edge.

"God, would you cut that out?" I snapped at her without thinking and immediately felt like a jerk. She paused in surprise, and insecurity shone through her eyes.

"Sorry." Lia said quietly. I went back to staring at the art; my arms were crossed over my chest as a wall for interaction. I just wanted to stay silent and stew in my anger, but she had other ideas.

"Nate, I'm really sorry about my brother. I never—"

"Don't apologize, Lia." I turned back to her and she looked at me timidly. "It's Tyler's fault. He doesn't think, and if he does then it's only with his dick."

Lia appeared to get smaller under my scowl and I realized I needed to calm down. A lot was clearly going through her mind as well, and me giving off this negative energy wasn't helping.

"Sorry, I'm just pissed off," I sighed deeply. "I shouldn't take it out on you. I know I wasn't there for the beginning of the fight, but I can take a pretty good guess that Tyler was provoking Rob, right?" I already knew he was. He can't help himself when there's trouble to be caused.

"Um, yeah I guess." She said uncertainly, like she didn't quite believe it.

"So, Rob shouldn't take the blame. Tyler was asking for it." My tone was lighter, trying to put her at ease; I had a feeling she was thinking of ways to take the responsibility for this whole situation.

"But didn't Rob hook up with Tyler's girlfriend?"

"Ex, they broke up over the weekend." I replied reassuringly. "I never liked her though, if she wanted to move on, she could have had the common decency not to do it right in front of him."

"But Rob was—"

"Why do you keep trying to take the blame?" My inner thoughts spurted out and curiosity grabbed the wheel on my words. She angrily glared at me with her brows furrowed. "I'm doing the interrupting thing again, right? Sorry." I gently smiled and her annoyance turned into sweetness.

"It's okay." She looked up at me again, but suddenly her eyes got wide. "Oh my god, your face!"

"Uh, what's wrong with it?" I reached up to where her stare was fixed and felt the soreness under my eye, a small amount of blood stuck to my fingers when I brought them back down to inspect. I didn't even feel this pain through all of my anger; I must have got hit in the fight too.

"I can't believe I never noticed how bad that is! You need to clean it!" She was analyzing the injury closely now, concern covering her face.

"No really, it's okay." I protested against her worry, I could feel the aching more clearly now, but I didn't want to come across as weak or anything. I had been in far worse pain than this anyway. She abruptly pushed her hands against my chest until I'm backed into a chair hastily, collapsing down without a choice.