The man unfolded the newspaper in hand, and gave it to me, complete confused by his action, I curiously took newspaper article to read for myself.

The Headlines: Drunk driver hits two kids, one dead, other unknown

"Dead..? What happened to Brian, the boy who was...." I trailed off,  noticing how quiet it was, the nurse and doctor looked away, avoiding my gaze. I let the newspaper fall into my lap, no longer having to strength to hold it, my shaky fingers wouldn't let me, it refused. Nausea clawed at my throat, but I refused to let it take over, I held the snow-white sheets over me tighter. Brian, Brian is-

"No...!" I exclaimed while covering my mouth, "It can't be...he can't be dead, I took the hit for him...I-"

"Since the boy you saved... is-was only a child while you are just an adolescence, much bigger and older than Brian, it is very likely that the boy suffered injuries of greater severity, even though the car actually hit you, he wasn't crushed by due to inertia from the impact with the car, you were both separated and thrown in different directions." the doctor explained, although, I didn't pay attention to what he had to say afterwards.

Tears began to spill from my helpless eyes, Brian didn't deserve to die, it wasn't his time yet, but hey...life is cruel, it took an innocent life away, and on his birthday. It should't have been the one to suffer the consequences.

Guilt was all that was pestering me, as I hugged my knees closer, thinking about how Mark, and his wife might have felt devastated after hearing the news that their ten-year-old son had passed away unexpectedly. "How long was I out, exactly....?" I sniffled, without looking at the newspaper, it only brought more grief. I felt sick to my stomach, as I try not to think of all the gore that must have taken place while I was "gone".

"About....five days" the nurse answered, looking at her clipboard she had brought with her. "Five days..." I echoed, with a wooden voice, staring directly at the blank wall, a few feet away from me, as I now had my arms, under my knees.

I was told that a lot of people, including my foster mother had recently visit when I asked about a Jon, describing the boy to him, the assistant nurse kept quiet, "...Yes, I saw him, but he wouldn't come in the room," I murmured a thank you, So Jon did visit after all. Asked when I could see Nath again, "During visiting hours, dear. But not today." Sundays were times when the hospital refused visitors.

" I find it a miracle that you somehow manage to survive, ms. Comis." Dr.Hans started, " From what I experienced for the past twenty years here, being struck by a car, blunt trauma, can kill you in a number of ways. Obviously, the heavier the car and the faster it is going the longer the list. From the head injury you received, you were supposed to start bleeding from the brain, your arms and legs were supposed to broken or torn extremities will bleed and you can bleed to death after you were hit, but none of the injuries we thought you were going to experienced happen."

When asked if I was hungry, shook my head, I probably wouldn't be able to keep the food down. I politely refused, thanking both for their hospitality, before requesting to be alone for a while, they both were caring and understanding and left at once without question.

Regaining your strength on my lower body after stretching for a couple minutes, I got into my feet, hopping off bed, feet touching the solid cold ground, making my way to open the curtains, almost falling midway, it was odd, I felt like an infant, trying to walk on their own for the first time.

I reached out, separated the dark blue curtain from one another, Metropolis's sun embrace me with warmth, welcoming the sun into the formerly dark room. My vision started to get foggy, hot tears came spilling out, " Crying won't do much anymore..." I whispered, using my upper arm to wipe them off. I remember speaking to a boy, the one who had tried getting me away from the wreckage, telling talking to him, telling him how life isn't worth living if the person you care about doesn't knowledge you or your present, it must have sounded like I planned to get hit by a car, attempted to save a life and taking my own, one person that was supposed to die ended up waking up in the hospital, while the other one passed on, on their birthday even.