Chapter 8: Awake

~Present time~

I woke up to the sound of beeping, the darkness faded away as soon as I regained consciousness. My muscles ached, burning for a short while until they slowly started to cool down. I slowly started to rouse myself up to get a good look at my surroundings

The room, the walls were simply cream, not peeling or dirty, just cream. It smelled like disinfectants and bleach, the marble floor was beige, blended with a brown texture, the room was silent apart from my heavy breathing, and my beating heart. The sound got louder, it is often heard in hospitals that indicates you were still alive, 'An ECG' A heart monitor... Wait "... the hospital?" I felt powerless at the moment, I couldn't budge my legs move around, my upper body ached as I tried moving around again.

I got into a sitting position where my back was against the metal bed board. At that moment, I realized that something smooth was stuck to the side of my lower right cheek, after itching that spot, I guessed it was a bandage, protecting what seemed to be scratch that I might have had.

I reached over my head, it was covered in bandage dressings, (h/c) hair sticking out all over between gapes.

The room I was currently in, seamed gloomy, an inappropriate place for someone to heal or to wake up too, the curtains prevented any sunlight from outside to coming in. All you felt was raw just by staying here, I guess you can say a little queasy, from just waking up.

I pulled the bed covers closer, covering me entirely for warmth to think properly, ' How long was I here for? '

I stared at the bouquet of flowers placed by my bedside, hypnotize by each bright unique individual flower petals' beauty. Get well soon! cards, and envelopes containing letters. Picking up one card, then the other, taking the time to read through them.

'Which hospital am I in?' When did I get here 'How did I get here?' What day is it? 'Where was everyone?' Where were the nurses, doctors, hospital staff, "Where's Nath-"

I let out a light gasp, the memories hit me like a bullet train. As the EGG machine beside me got louder and quicker from my reaction.

Nath...

Drunk guy...

Clark...

Mall...

Brian...

Car crash...

A woman emerged from the door to my room, she looked up at me and stared, staring at me, as if I were a drawing that came right out of the pages, to life.

After a few minutes of uncomfortable silences, she went dashing down the hallways, not caring if there were patients resting, calling for a nearby doctor, by their name.

I placed a hand on my forehead, already weirded out from what had just happened.

I fell back on the bed, looking at the ceiling lamp hanging above me, trying to process what had just happened before, waiting for the nurse who would hopefully come back.

'Aren't I supposed to be dead...'  I wondered, I was struck by a car after all. The nurse from earlier came back, this time with a man with salt and pepper hair, wearing a white coat, it looked like he was reading before he was called over since he held a newspaper in his left hand.

"Ah, Ms Comis, how are you feeling? We surely thought you died." the nurse elbowed the man in the guts, giving him a disapproval look, I wasn't angry at him or anything like that, I just thought why he would say that to a person who had just woken up.

"Uhm....doctor.." I greeted, but paused, not knowing what to call him. "Hans."  he introduced, "Alright, Doctor Hans." I coughed, as I brought a hand to my throat, talking seemed to make irritate my throat.