Chapter 25: Confessions

I let Violet, Fleur and Luke occupy my bed room as they seem to love it and I go to the guest room to rest for the day. While going I happen to look at Fleur. She looks as tensed as ever. I feel sympathy. I go over to her and ask "Fleur, can I speak to you for a second?"

"Yes. Of course." She replies removing her eyesight from the window. I take her down the stairs, to the backyard. I make her sit on my swing and then sit next to her.

"What's wrong?" I ask.
"N...nothing. Nothing at all. Why would you ask that?" She replies trying to remove the worried look off her face. The swing moves at a slow pace along the wind.

"I know that your tensed about Bellendis. Don't worry, Fleur. This time I assure you, nothing will go wrong. We will win." I tell her, keeping a hand on her shoulder.
She says, "That's not the point. I made a terrible mistake, again. I'm so sorry."

"Wait. What mistake?" I ask.

"I don't know how to tell you this. I can't tell you." Fleur replies.

"Why can't you tell me? Fleur, it's okay. Please tell me what's in your mind. Maybe I can help you out." I say calmly.

"I let him... I let him...die!" She blurts out and bursts into tears.

At once, my eyes search for her's and a thought of terror strikes me. "Who? Who died?" I ask just to make sure my intuition is wrong. She looks down and doesn't stop weeping.

"Who died Fleur? Tell me!" I ask again.
Now she looks up at me and says "Os...Osgar." And looks down again.
So my intuition was right. I was dreading that she was going to take his name and yes, she did.

"You took his responsibility. How did he...how could he?" I whisper, unable to complete my sentence as I choke upon my words.

"Alaric's army had started searching ways to find the Pura Councillium. They had spread to the entire Bellendis, torturing people to speak up and killing them. I couldn't believe that sight. I knew that I had to do something about it and at once told Violet and Luke to split up and go in different directions with their set of soldiers. I went towards the Councillium to ensure that the soldiers hadn't found it. I had forgotten that I left Osgar sleeping in his tent. When I had reached the Councillium, I heard and saw a huge blast that came from the forbidden forest. At once I realized what I had left behind. I raced back to the forest with my horse and tried to protect him but I was too late. There he was, on the burnt grass, lying motionless, his soft skin covered with soot. I tried everything I could to wake him up, but he just wouldn't...I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry." She says gloomily. Now I remember the time I had found him on the other side of the wish granting river. The look of innocence on his face had always pierced my heart. I had promised him that I would keep him safe and find his mother.

"A sorry won't bring him back." I mumble to myself, not realizing that Fleur hears me.

"I know. You should have given the responsibility to Violet or Luke. I'm not even a good warrior. First, I let Rhiannon down. I didn't even know that she was going to die because of me. Now, I let Osgar die, a child who believed that we would find his mother and I let you down. I'm sorry Cal. Once you get crowned, please give me a death sentence. I deserve it." Fleur says, wiping her tears continuously.

"Are you insane? Why in the world would I do that? I know that you have made mistakes but I can't deny that it was my fault as well. I shouldn't have left Bellendis. I left my sister when she needed me the most. I left my people when they needed me the most. Everyone makes mistakes. What's important now is how we learn from them. We are more determined towards achieving our goal. We will take our revenge from that ruthless Alaric. We will get justice for every Bellendian who has lost their life including Rhiannon, Grifford and Osgar. Trust me Fleur, we won't lose this time. Are you with me in this?" I ask.

"Yes." She slowly replies.

"Okay. Let's go back up and rest cause tommorow, there is a lot of things to do." I fake a smile in the hope of making her feel better.

"But Cal, I haven't told violet and Luke about Osgar. I was just too guilty and afraid to. I'm sorry." Fleur says.

"Hmm. That doesn't sound like the Fleur I know. They will not judge you if you tell them. And you will always be a great warrior no matter what happens. I have faith in you. They will too. So, don't hide anything from them. It will only hurt them when they find it out from someone else. Go and do it. You'll feel much lighter." I suggest.

"Thank you so much Cal, for everything. I feel much lighter now." Fleur says.

"My pleasure." I reply. Then Fleur gets down the swing and goes towards the apple tree. I follow her. She picks up something. "What's this? It looks like the Drabble fruit!" She asks.

"It's an apple. But Drabble fruit tastes much better than it." I reply.

"Ohh! But it does look mostly the same. I'll taste this tommorow along with Violet and Luke." She says.

Just then mom comes and orders us to go and sleep at once as it's past ten. We do as we are told.