Chapter 6 : The Letter

It was absurd. We read each line of the letter aloud.

'We are the ones who'll never fail
Darkness, sorrow and hatred will leave a trail...
When brightness, affection and love shall prevail.
On The seas of joy the soul sisters will sail.'

"Well, that's weird." I said, surprised.

"It sounds like a prophecy." Eva said, equally surprised as I was.

"If you're right, then who are these soul sisters?"  I looked at her and as my attention diverted somewhere else, I became  rigid with shock.

"What's wrong?" Eva asked curiously.

"Your...your pendent...it...it's glowing!!" I was shocked.

"Well your pendant is glowing too!" Eva exclaimed.

Then we looked at our own pendants and then looked at each other's. The outburst of pink light from the pendents freaked us out.

"Omg. Omg. This has never happened before!" I said.

Eva replied, "It has never happened to me either! It's never glowed this way!"

"Why is this happening? We have to find out!" I exclaimed.

"Cal, calm down. Before we do anything, we'll have to clear all the mess we've created here. Your family could be back any time now."

"No Eva, today Grandma will have to tell us the truth. I'm going to confront her when she comes and..."

"You're going to do nothing like that, Cal. Okay?"

"But why? This is our last chance to spill out the truth from her! We have evidence now. We know for sure that she's definitely hiding something that concerns us and our pendants." I enquired.

"No Cal. You know what? All this was a terrible mistake. We should have never searched through your grandma's stuff. She has loved you so much. She trusted you. If she wanted to then don't you think that she would have told you?She must have hidden it for a reason, maybe to protect you from something. I know what it's like to lose a grandma. You're really lucky to have her. I wish I had realized in the beginning itself that this was a huge mistake on our part. It just isn't a right thing to do. It'll break her when she finds out that we did this."

I got lost in deep thought in coming up with a conclusion and finally said,"You're right, Eva. This was a mistake. I'm sorry, I gave you so much trouble. I feel so guilty." I said.

"It's okay. I'm glad we realized on time." She calmly assured and hugged me. We cleaned up and put everything back in place as soon as we could.

Then I heard the door knob turn and mom walked in.

"Evanthia, quick! Go and hide below the bed in my room. I'll meet you up there in a while and figure out a way to get you out of here." I whispered. Eva nodded and hurried along.

As Mom approached me, I awkwardly asked, "How was the movie?" "Oh it was wonderful honey. Grandma loved it so much. Look at what I've got for your dinner." Mom spoke and offered me a packet which contained some noodles.  "Wow! Thanks, Mom!" I replied, gratefully.

"My pleasure honey. I brought them because my dear daughter was grounded, alone in this house. How bad you must have felt." Mom spoke to me as if I were a child.

In reflex, I replied "No Mom. I wasn't alone. I had a great time with...." (bit weird. I doubt you should write it.)I realized what mistake I was going to make. I heard a bark from my room "Cuddles! Yes, I had I great time with cuddles!" I covered up in no time.

"Honey, why is he barking upstairs? I'll go and check on him." Mom began.

"Noooo! I mean, he must be hungry. I'll go, check on him and give him his food." Just then Grandma came inside, followed by Dad. I ran and hugged her tightly. "Woah! Cal! At this age, do ya want my bones to break?!" She exclaimed. I laughed and said "I love you, Grandma. I'm sorry I acted like a fool yesterday."

"It's okay dear, everyone makes mistakes. I'm sorry too for being so harsh with you. But ya gotta stay away from..." She started.

"No, Grandma, I haven't agreed to that yet. If you excuse me, I have to feed Cuddles" I said, saddened once more and walked to my room. I discovered that Cuddles had found Eva and was barking at her.

I quietly led Evanthia out through the back door. "I'll see you in school tomorrow." I whispered. Eva replied, "okay. Take care." and left.

After dinner, I laid on my bed wondering what to do. On one side was my best friend who was everything but dangerous. On the other side was my grandmother who always stood by my side until she met Evanthia and was definitely hiding something from us. I loved and trusted both of them but somehow I knew that I'd soon have to choose one over the other. If I chose Evanthia then I'd lose grandma's trust forever and if I chose Grandma then I'd lose my only best friend forever. After this thought only one solution came in my mind and I was determined to execute it.