The 'conspiracy' - The late part 2

Heyyy, so it's been awhile. If you don't remember anything, go back and read, it could help.

Gaius barged in, startling everyone.

"It's Morgana. She's back."

***

The news was received by a pin drop silence and seven pairs of wide eyes. Even Arthur looked up in shock.

"What do you mean, she's back?" 

"He means exactly what he means," said a feminine voice. Morgana waltzed in.

Merlin leaned towards Gaius. "I thought you said she was at the citadel," he hissed accusingly.

They watched apprehensively as she chuckled softly and walked over, inching away when she pulled out another chair and sat down. Arthur frowned. 

Morgana seemed different somehow but in a good way. Something about her reminded him of when she was still his father's loving ward, back when she was still kind and charming. Maybe it was the cleaner hair or the familiar green dress she was donning, or maybe even the relaxed expression she wore on her face.

It still didn't change the fact that she was dangerous.

"Morgana. What are you doing here?" he snarled. Unconsciously, they had all stood up by precaution and now she was the only one sitting at the round table, looking up at them. Her smile faltered at Arthur's expression.

"The ban on magic was lifted. It's all I've been fighting for these years, my ultimate goal, and now that it's legal, I thought that maybe, you know, maybe I could come back." Her voice became tiny as she spoke, intimidated by the disbelieving looks she received.

The king raised an eyebrow. "And you think that just because magic is now allowed back into Camelot, it's number one enemy is allowed to return too?" 

Morgana seemed to shrink as Arthur's voice rose. She lifted her hands as if to calm him down.

"I - I was never actually banned by Uther so I thought... Look, I'm sorry, okay? I - "

"Sorry doesn't just cut it. You killed hundreds, maybe thousands, of good and innocent people and you just expect them to welcome you back, arms wide open? Would you like a celebration for your return as well, while you're at it?"

Morgana looked down, avoiding his gaze.

"You tortured some of us."

She flicked her eyes up guiltily and glanced at the knights that she had hurt.

"Believe me, I've changed. Being on the run has taken its toll on me, especially not letting myself relax and trust anyone. Other kingdoms have been trying to kill me as well, you know? I'm giving myself up. And if you won't have me as a guest, then at least let me stay in the dungeons until you're convinced that I mean you no harm."

Arthur peered at her suspiciously.

"Please, brother," she begged again.

Arthur turned towards Merlin and questioned his friend with his eyes, seeking his advice and jumped when his voice sounded in his head.

She's telling the truth.

Arthur's face softened. "Morgana," he began and she looked up again hopefully. He walked up to her and pulled her into a hug. 

"Welcome back."

***

Breakfast was awkward, to say the least.