The 'conspiracy'

Magic is now legal, but Merlin has yet to reveal his secret. Lance convinces him, but they accidentally start a conspiracy.

Three pounds sounded on the door, shaking the entire frame as Lancelot barged into Merlin's room without warning, just in time to see him hurriedly put a dusty old book away before he relaxed when he saw who it was.

"Merlin. What do you think you're doing?" he demanded, hands on his hips.

The manservant looked at him innocently from the bed, feigning to not understand what he meant.

Lancelot's arms flew up and he exploded.

"The ban on magic was lifted by Arthur three months ago! People are already reintroducing it back into the market and even the druids have started coming back. So why haven't you told the others yet?"

Merlin sighed and crossed his legs.

"I don't know. I guess I'm just not sure how to tell them. Lancelot, it isn't easy. There's absolutely no telling how everyone will react!"

"And waiting will make it less difficult?"

"Lancelot is right, you know." Gaius walked in and Merlin groaned. "They're your friends, as I keep killing myself trying to tell you. What's more, the new laws set in place prevent further discrimination and harm to befall upon you and those like you."

"But what if they're angry? What if... they never want to see me again?"

The knight stalked over and gave him a rough shake. "They will not hate you," he assured with the utmost seriousness, staring at Merlin intently.

"But I lied to them!"

Lancelot shook his head helplessly.

"Remember when I discovered your secret? I didn't blame you for lying, not even for a single second. And if the others are truly worth your time, they won't either. At the very least, not forever."

Merlin didn't seem convinced. He hopped off his mattress and started pacing.

"Well..." he hesitated, searching for the right words. "I mean... You're special. The bravest and most noble of them all, according to everyone who knows you."

Lancelot pinked slightly and rubbed his arm uncomfortably, but Merlin just kept walking around.

"Even among those who haven't personally met you, you are reputed to have a good heart and to be the greatest embodiment of everything a knight is supposed to represent. Justice, courage, love..." he trailed off, passing over other values with a hand motion.

Lancelot was blushing furiously now.

"Besides, I didn't need to tell you my secret, you discovered by yourself."

Merlin halted abruptly. A thoughtful expression fell on his face and his gaze grew distant.

"I didn't tell you my secret, you discovered by yourself," he repeated in a pensive tone.

A mischievous grin sketched itself across his face as he twirled back to face his friend.

"I have an idea," he said, eyes glinting.

***

Gwaine had started noticing it a few days ago, and once he had noticed, it had been impossible to ignore. Something had shifted in the atmosphere, a change in the dynamic between him and his friends.

It hadn't worried him at first. The other knights of the round table often played pranks on him. But this, this was on a whole other scale.

Literally, everyone seemed to be in on it.