Chapter 5: Rite of Passage

They say ambition is the first step towards success, and the second one is action.

Action, that is exactly what I am taking now, the second step to reaching my goals. I am the kind of person who makes things happen, but is realistic enough to have a fallback just in case things don't go the way I want them to.

Bata pa ako noong unang pumasok sa isip ko na maging court side reporter when I go to college. Yung best friend ko kasi noon, pangarap maging basketball player. Sabay naming pinangarap na magjoin ng UAAP. Three years ago, sinabi namin na kung aling school ang magchachampion, doon kami mag-eenrol. Why, you might ask? Simple, that school can give us a better chance of getting the exposure we need to further our careers.

I plan my life well, and so does he. Kaya yes, even during our sophomore year, I was keeping an eye out on the universities.

It was the glory days of Ateneo for 5 years before that Season 76. My best friend wanted Ateneo to win because he became such a fan of the team after their 5-peat. Hindi naman ako ganoon ka-hardcore na fan, so I wouldn't know those things if it weren't for his stories.

Ako naman, I was rooting for UP, mainly because they had the Accountancy program, which I liked. Makakatulong sa business namin yun. It's like hitting 2 birds with 1 stone. Midway through the season, they were losing every game. They ended with a 0-14 win-loss slate. Sakit.

Eventually, I came to know the Teng Brothers, Jeric and Jeron when UST and DLSU were up against each other for the championship. Hyped ang championship na yun not only because Ateneo didn't make it even in the Final Four, but also because of the Teng Brothers who played for the vying schools. Both schools had an Accountancy program, which works for me.

On the other hand, while DLSU's basketball program would work well for my best friend, he was such a fan of their bitter rival for him to dream of enrolling at the Green Archers' alma mater.

Eh nanalo.

And so began our... or my quest to be part of the La Sallian community. Let me reserve his story for another time kasi this is my moment, right?

At that time, being part of the community became an attractive opportunity for me. Their passing rate for the Accountancy board exams is in the higher 80s-90s. Awesome.

Their court side reporters eventually graduate to become great hosts, sports anchors, models, influencers, or beauty queens. Great.

Again, hitting 2 birds with 1 stone.

And now, as I wait for my name to be called, I can't help but give myself a pat on the back for planning my life and future well. My parents have always reminded me to do this. At first, medyo nakakainis. Nakakapressure.

Now, however, I appreciate what they have done.

I'm wearing my hair down, a little more makeup and a simple outfit for the audition

I'm wearing my hair down, a little more makeup and a simple outfit for the audition. Sabi kasi nila, I will look pale in front of the camera. I think I am all set!