Chapter 3: Figment of Imagination

"Haaay," napa-buntong hininga na lang ako.

It's 11:25 in the morning and I have checked my email for the nth time.  Wala pa ring response. 

I submitted my application for the UAAP court side reporter job as soon as my classes were over yesterday.  I had to go to the photo studio to have a full body shots taken, requirement daw when I apply for the job.  I carefully picked the best photo out of the 5 that were taken after consulting my best friend, Jovanne, our blockmate and new friend, Candice, Yaya Tina, my mom, and my dad.  They all pointed at different photos, so I ended up picking the one my father chose.  I've always admired my father's taste.  Case in point, he picked my mother as his wife.  My mom is the most beautiful person in the world, inside and outside! Totoo yan!

Anyway, back to the current situation.  I sent my application, with a carefully and nicely worded introductory letter and resume to the email address indicated in the business card which Jeanine handed to me at exactly 5 in the afternoon.  As soon as I sent that message, I patiently waited for an email from UAAP regarding my application, but no response was sent to me.

Fine. I thought it was the end of day, the people in charge would have gone home.  It's probably beyond their working hours.  I had dinner as soon as Manang Gina had prepared our meal.  My mom and dad are staying in our condo unit with me on my first week here in Manila.  They're leaving to attend to our businesses next week, and will be back next month.  Okay lang din naman, naiintindihan ko yun kasi it's costly to send me to a Manila school.  They have to work really hard.  As soon as dinner was over, I went upstairs to prepare to go to sleep.  After my night routine, I checked my email one last time.

Nothing.

I turned the Television on and watched one of my favorite movies, Wicker Park.  I didn't realize that I had dozed off into La La Land.

I woke up early to find that I have not received a reply.  Well, what were you thinking anyway, Iris?  It's 6 in the morning!

After breakfast, I grabbed my denim jacket and headed out for school.  Surely, after my first class, I should be able to receive an email from them, right?  Even one that acknowledges what I have sent?

I bade my mom and dad goodbye and headed out merrily, as I waited for Manong Jacob to pick me up at the driveway.

After my first class for the day, Introductory Accounting, I checked my phone to see if I got any message.

Nada.

"Sino ba'ng ka-text mo?" Tanong ni Jovanne.

I looked at her and said, "Ah.  Wala.  Wala naman."

"Hinihintay mo ba yung email ng UAAP?  Wag kang mastress, please?  I'm sure mag eemail yan in a bit." Sabi nya.

Kinakabahan ako.  What if they haven't seen my email?  What if my email went to their spam folder?  "Natatakot ako Jovanne, what if nasa spam nila yung message ko?  Kaya wala pa silang reply?"