Chapter 2: Upfront

Great day. 

I was having a great day. This day marked the first day of taping my newest project as a main host in a sports-oriented show. I couldn't be any giddier.

One year ago, I joined a music channel which marked the beginning of my showbiz career. At first, I was given 1-2 segments each month. Eventually, fan clamor allowed me to host 3 segments each week, until I became a regular host for the music channel.  Sarap!!

I have always wanted to join showbiz, but the thing is, I am from a prominent celebrity family. My grandfather was among the pillars of the industry. My father was a notable and respected media personality. My mother was among the great actresses of her time, back in the glory days of show business. I didn't want to earn a spot in the industry just because I was my parents' son. I wanted to build a name of my own, which is why I honed my own skills set.  Sariling sikap, 'di ba?

I created my own Youtube channel when I was 8. I featured people's stories back then. At first, I interviewed ordinary people with unique stories. My channel blew up. People love smart kids who ask smart questions, don't they? Eventually, prominent people approached me to be featured on my channel. I didn't feature their stories just because they asked me to.  They had to have a story to tell. 

Some people invited me to join teen-oriented shows too, but I declined. Ayoko ng teen showbiz.  Ayoko ng masyadong binabantayan pati ang gusto kong gawin sa buhay ko.  During that time, I didn't think I was ready for mainstream showbiz. Baka nilamon lang ako ng showbiz.

Fast forward to today, and I'm trying to break in to mainstream media. Some people told me, I should have stuck to being a Youtuber, where I was good at. What changed?  Nothing. To be honest, Youtube was amazing, but to make it big in mainstream media as a host is something I have always dreamed of. I want to be like my father. I just want to be there when I know I'm mature enough and ready for it.

Today is a great day as my dreams are unfolding right before my eyes, and I am damn proud to have worked so hard to get to where I am now.

"Kuya, pabili ng squid balls." Sabi ko kay Manong.

"Ilan?"

"Dalawang orders po. Pakiseparate po yung sauce, and pakidamihan po." I have always loved squid balls.  Ayaw ng mom ko na pakainin ako nito kasi may amoebiasis ako.  I'm sure, 8 squid balls won't kill me though, right?

"Anong sauce mo hijo?" Tanong ni Manong.

"Yung sweet, pero paki-mix po ng spicy vinegar." Yup, I am weird that way.

Pagkabigay ni Manong ng squid balls and sauce, I made my way to a nearby bench. I was walking towards the bench when my phone rang. Holding the sauce and squid balls on one hand, I picked up my phone to see it was Laura.

"Hello Laura!"

"Hey! Are you at the location na? Lian texted me, she said the crew is ready when you are." She said.

"Yes, I'm here. They told me we were meeting outside the gym. Where are they at?"

"They're right there. They're setting up beside the food booth by the Research Center. I'm sending you Lian's number alright?"

"Sige," I said as I ended the call. I looked around to see if the team was in sight. I'm sure I have seen that research center somewhere. My phone vibrated and I checked to see if Laura has sent me Lian's number.

BAM!

I watched as my phone slipped from my hand and tried to catch it as it fell on the ground. Hindi ko narealize na I was holding a cup of squid ball sauce and squidballs on one hand, which all spilled on my shoes and to the ground as well.