Chapter 1: First Day High

Hi! My name is Ireana Isabella Loyola Chavez, Iris for short. Two months ago, I completed secondary education at Masbate National Comprehensive High School where I graduated Valedictorian. Yes, I am smart, and I am also competitive. I want to be the best in whatever I choose to do. Deadly combination daw ito. I'm not sure if I should be flattered or offended when people tell me that.

Don't get me wrong. I acknowledge that I am not skilled in every aspect of life. I can't cook for the life of me. I don't do well in sports. I can't dance gracefully. I am not the prettiest person in the world. These are my frustrations and/or insecurities in life.

However, I love reading books. I enjoy Mathematics. I speak well. I have, as they say, a commanding presence. I plan well, and I stick to my plan in order to achieve my goals. These are some of the things I am good at, and I intend to use these for my benefit.

Today is my first day at the De La Salle University where I'm taking up Bachelor of Science in Accountancy, and I'm telling you. I am on such a high on my first day! First, I met Mika Reyes. THE Mika Reyes who brought the women's volleyball championship to the De La Salle University. In all honesty, the sports program of the DLSU made me pick this school over UP Diliman, which has the best Accountancy program in the country. However, I planned my life well, and I intend to do something else on the side while I'm in college: hosting. Sa totoo lang, I think DLSU can help me achieve the kind of exposure that I need in hosting. And maybe, just maybe, as early as now, I could start pursuing this dream.  That is, if this guy here didn't ruin my ticket to this dream.

Fifteen minutes ago.

"Thank you, Ate Mika!"

"Sure, anytime. You look so pretty, by the way."

"Wow, really, coming from you! Thanks Ate! You're really gorgeous also. And ikaw ang favorite kong player!"

"Aww thanks dear. What's your name again?" She asked.

"It's Iris. I'm a freshman here. Too bad you're not using your last year of eligibility na in the UAAP?" I asked.

"No eh, but I will be playing professionally. And I have a restaurant a block away from school, so you might still see me around." She smiled and waved at a girl from behind me. I turned around to see it was Jeanine Tsoi. Wow. Talk about coincidences. "Jeanine! Hey!"

"Mika!" She said as she approached Mika and nodded at me. I nodded at her in return.

I tried my very best to compose myself. I'm a fangirl of celebrities, but I fangirl even harder for hosts and broadcast journalists.

"Oh, this is Iris, she's a freshman here and she said she loves the team! Flattered nga ako na we're one of the reasons she picked this school over another choice of hers."

One of the reasons is an understatement.

"Oh yeah? Always nice to hear that our athletes inspire incoming students to enrol here instead!" Jeanine said looking at me. "Anyway," she continued, facing Mika this time, "could you recommend anyone to try out as a court side reporter for La Salle? Bea backed out the last minute because she decided to join this exchange program instead."

"Ahh, I heard! She has always wanted to do that exchange program in Spain. Wrong timing lang talaga, she could have been a great court side reporter! Sige, I will ask around."

"I know! I guess that program is more in line with her goals now considering she's graduating na. But then again, that's too bad for us cos if we can't find someone from school, they will pick a reserve from UP. I can't believe our reserve got kicked out from school." Jeanine said.

My heart started beating fast. Could this be my chance? Should I try this out, or is it too soon?

"How much time do we have before they give the role to UP's reserve?" Mika asked

"We have 3 days to look for someone else. The new season opens in 3 weeks, and the new court side reporter needs to go through the workshop sessions scheduled in the next 2 weekends."

Maybe it's too soon. Maybe I need this year to make adjustments entering into college? Wag na lang, baka maderail pa ang plans ko by moving too fast.

"Damn it! How about that girl who was your reserve last year?"

"She graduated na rin and she said she has accepted a job from another network. I can't blame her, she couldn't wait around forever." Jeanine sighed.

"Ate Mika, thank you ulit sa picture." I said just so they'd realize I was standing right there.

"Alright, umm, Iris right? See you around!"

"Yes Ate! See you around and of course, I wish you luck on your future plans," and I waved at her. I turned to face Jeanine, "it's nice to finally meet you too! I saw you in every game last year. You were great as a court side reporter."

"Nice to meet you too, and thanks." She said, and I walked away thinking about how lucky I was to have met school celebrities on my first twenty minutes in school.

"Hey!!" I heard someone call out at me. It was Jeanine. "I don't know you that well, but since you attend this school too, maybe you could try and audition as a court side reporter for us?"

My eyes grew wide in disbelief. Wow. I really thought I was too ambitious sometimes for my own good. People don't always agree when I try to do new things. Back in Masbate, I was a beauty queen, and people thought I was too short for a beauty queen.

This is why I got excited when my parents told me I could attend a university in Manila for college. Here in Manila, anyone can just dream.  Anyone can do anything. Anyone can be someone.  I love Masbate, and they are truly supportive when you truly want to pursue something, but of course, people can still be a little conventional.

It's kind of reassuring at this point to find people who think even a newbie deserves to try for something as grand as being a court side reporter. I mean, the CSR represents and is the voice of the university in the UAAP. The past UAAP court side reporters were all experienced in terms of hosting.  They joined trainings and workshops.  Times have probably changed for us millennials.  We have opportunities at the palm of our hands, and we just need to dare dream.  Just wow.

Think about all the opportunities in store for me if I become a CSR now. Think about all the people I will meet, the network I will have. This was my plan when I decided to enrol in La Salle, but the plan was to do it on my second or third year, not on my first year. And certainly not on my first day in the university.

"Hello?!" Jeanine snapped me out of that momentary day dream.

"Oh gosh, I'm sorry Jeanine. Umm, hindi ba nakakahiya? Wala naman akong hosting experience."

"You speak very well, the quality of your voice is good, your posture is good. You have the basics, my dear." She said.

I smiled at her. She will make it big as a reporter. She is observant, and she will never miss a story.

She handed me a card as she said, "You should try. The network will train you anyway.  Just send your resume and photo to the address in this card. They should call you for auditions in a day or two."

I took the card and said thank you as she waved goodbye.

On my first day in school, I'm glad people didn't miss a story they shouldn't: ME.  I looked at the card and walked my way to my room. My class begins in 15 minutes, and if I have time, makakapagretouch pa ako. I smiled as I reached out for my bag to keep the card.

BAM!!!!

15 minutes ago, I began having the time of my life, only to find myself on the ground at this point. Some person knocked me off my feet. I looked down at my self and saw fish ball (or is it squid ball?!??) sauce dripping all over me. The business card I was holding was also soaked in squid ball sauce. I looked up to see a tall moreno man with chiseled jawline. From the ground, I could barely see his face which was blocking the bright sun, but my heart was racing fast.  My palms are sweaty.  I was breathing heavily.

Just my luck...or not.