Chapter 4: Déjà vu

It's Wednesday morning and we just packed up after my taping for Myx.  It felt like forever because I was up at 4:30 to make it to my 6:00 a.m. taping. I taped 6 segments nonstop all morning. I had to make these special arrangements because I wouldn't be available this afternoon.

It's my best friend, Marcus' birthday today, and he asked me to pick him up this afternoon for our road trip to La Union.  I don't usually go out of town during work days, but it's his birthday.  I ain't letting my best friend down so even if my interview with the DLSU and Ateneo teams yesterday ended at half past 12, I squeezed in just a few hours of sleep to make it to the 6 am taping.  Going home to Laguna wasn't the best idea after that long day, not when I actually left my surfboard and swimming gears in my condo unit.

I checked the time.

Sighs.

It's 15 minutes before 1 o'clock.  I barely noticed that time flew that fast. I only have an hour and 15 minutes to grab lunch and my stuff at my condo. Laki laki ng surfboard, nakalimutan ko pang nasa condo yun. Who's stupid?!

"Paris!" Somebody shouted.

I turned around looking at where the voice was coming from. I had made it to the second floor of the ABS CBN News and Public Affairs building. I love using the stairs. It makes me feel normal. Besides, the elevators here are almost always full.

"Hey Kuya Dino!" It was my manager-handler. He has been ever since my channel blew up. I told you about my Youtube channel right?  My parents trust him so much because his parents were my mom's manager as an actress. They eventually put up a talent agency, which now handles and co-manages a couple of stars from Star Magic. I am one of their favorites because I was, as they say, different. Being the agency's favorite bodes well for me. I get to have a say on what I want to do with my career, which is important for me. I never want to lose myself.

He reached me as he panted for breath. He was clearly running, probably to catch me? Hindi pa naman sya physically fit to run. "What's up Kuya?"

"Buti naabutan kita. Tumatawag ako pero naka-silent pa yata yung phone mo?" I tried to reach for my phone, I had put it on silent mode because of our 6-hour or so taping for Myx. "It's Laura. She just called me to check if you have time now. You weren't picking up daw, pero sinabi ko na galing ka sa taping." Sabi ni Kuya Dino.

"Well, you know it's Marcus' birthday and we're leaving at 2. What is this about?" I asked as he led me to the stairs leading to the UAAP unit which happened to be on the third floor.

"I never got to ask, but she said it was urgent. Puede bang puntahan mo na sya?" He asked me. It was a request, not a question.

Sighs. Work beckons.

"O sige Kuya. Ako na ang bahala. Go na, diba you need to be at Kiana's endorsement tour in Megamall? Late ka na." I said.

"Oo nga eh. Sige na at di na kita sasamahan na umakyat. Hinihingal ako magstairs. Mag-eelevator na ako pababa." He said, as he waved me goodbye.

I watched as the elevator door opened. Buti natyempuhan ni Kuya na pababa ang elevator. I smiled and turned around.

BAM!

A petite girl with fair complexion just bumped into me and all of the script I was holding on to for next week fell, getting sprawled all over the floor.

"Sorry, sorry! Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry." She said, sounding so apologetic for getting my things thrown around like that.

I reached for my things as she helped me gather them. I looked up to find familiar eyes looking at me.