Chapter 8

For a few minutes, silence overtakes everyone. Eventually, Ash, Serena, Holly, Brock, General Wulfric, and Cilan slowly get up before everyone else does. They look around to see the beanstalk completely gone and far in the countryside, Calem lies on the ground lifeless. Serena lets out a sigh before she turns to Ash and pulls him into a tight hug while laying her head on his shoulder.

"It's finally over," she says in relief.

"Yes, Serena," Ash says as he hugs the woman he loves and pets her head gently. "We won."

Instantly, General Wulfric, Cilan, the handmaidens and the counselors let out a deafening cheer as they jump and dance together in celebration. Brock and Holly laugh happily as the tall man lifts the auburn-haired woman up and spins her around before putting her down so that they can kiss passionately. Even Ash and Serena pull their heads back to look at each other with their eyes full of love before they lean in for a tender kiss.

"I love you, my beloved hero," Serena says.

"I love you too, my beauteous queen," Ash says while caressing Serena's cheek. "There will never be a day where I will stop loving you."

Serena's ocean blue eye glimmer with joy once more and the two of them lean in for a deeper kiss until...

"Ash! Brock!"

Everyone stops celebrating to see Iris running towards them with a frantic look while carrying Maynor on her back with a back pouch. Ash and Brock smile as they see their friend run over to them.

"Are you guys alright?" She asks worryingly. "I was coming come from the market with Maynor and saw the beanstalk break apart and someone falling off it and -"

Suddenly, Iris' voice dies in her throat when she sees a familiar honey blonde woman with her arms around her raven-haired friend. The purple-haired woman's eyes widen in shock as Serena gives her a warm smile.

"Y-y-your Majesty?!" Iris asks frantically.  

"Hello, Iris," Serena says happily. "It's wonderful to see you again."

"B-b-b-but if you're here then...then..." Iris says before she loses her voice and turns around to see Holly giving her a friendly smile while she and Brock are still in each other's arms and General Wulfric giving her a smirk. But the purple-haired woman stops turning when she sees a skinny man with green hair staring at her intently. The married couple stand still for a moment before Iris' eyes start to water and her mouth quivers uncontrollably. She whimpers as she slowly moves her legs toward her husband.

"Ci...Ci-c-c-ci-Cilan?" She manages to say.

Cilan's eyes light up and a smile forms on his face as he runs over to his wife. By the time they are only a couple feet away, Iris' legs give in and Cilan catches her in time leaving them in kneeling position as Iris begins crying hysterically on Cilan's chest while grabbing him by the shirt with both hands.

"CILA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HAN!" Iris wails as she holds on to her husband who wraps his arms around her and lays his head on top of hers, struggling not to cry himself.

"I-Iris," he manages to say back as he holds on to his emotional wife.

Eventually, Iris lifts her head to look upon Cilan for a moment and pulls him in for a kiss by his shirt. As soon as they part, the purple-haired woman suddenly wraps her arms around her husband's neck and pulls his head down to her height before smothering his face with kisses all over his face. When she finishes, she stares at Cilan with a pleading look in her eyes.

"Tell me this isn't a dream," she whimpers. "Please tell me you really are here and I'm not going to wake up and realize that you're still dead."

Cilan smiles as he looks deep into Iris' eyes that are already red from her tears.