Chapter 13 - The Best Girlfriend in the World

"H-Harry?" I stuttered nervously.  He shouldn't have been here so soon.  The nearest hotel was at least five minutes away.

Harry chuckled under his breath as he approached the table.  He glanced up and gazed through me with his smiling, green eyes.  I could tell he was taking great pleasure in making me so squirmy.

"How did you get here so fast?"  I demanded, attempting to masquerade my unsteady voice.  "You got here in seconds."

He shrugged nonchalantly.  "I was already on my way."

I cocked a brow suspiciously.  "Uh . . . okay?"  

I felt Isabelle's soft, cool hand skim across my arm.  As she whispered, I inhaled her cheesy breath, "Who is he?"

I flashed Isabelle a grin then turned to Harry, "Oh, uh, Harry, this is Isabelle, her twin Kirsten, and Trever."

"Hey, guys," Harry grinned, sliding his hands into his pockets.

Kirsten leaned over, murmuring quietly, "Is he your boyfriend?"

I smirked at Kirsten, then drew her and Isabelle close.  "Yes.  He just doesn't know it yet."

The girls exploded into laughter, tossing playful glances at Harry.

"Huh?  Hey!  No whispering!"  Harry protested, even though a smile was creeping into the corner of his mouth.

"Sorry, Harry," I teased somewhat flirtatiously, "Girls only."

"Yeah," Kirsten added.  "It's a secret!  No boys aloud!"

"I still have my mate Trever here."  Harry lifted Trever into his arms from where he stood on the chair. "Girls are very secretive, aren't they, Buddy?"

Trever tabbed his head up and down.  "Yeah.  They keep a lot of secrets."

"Hey, Allie," asked Kirsten, "Can we go play on the playground now?"

"That sounds like a great idea, Kirsten."

"Yeah, plus . . ." Isabelle dropped her voice to a whisper.  "It will give you time to talk to your boyfriend."

I slapped my hand to my mouth, pleasantly surprised by Isabelle's proclamation.  I simply nodded, though.  "Right.  Sounds good."

Harry and I ushered the kids through the back door where they immediately scuttled joyfully to the playground then settled ourselves in the grass nearby.  As he plucked strands of grass from the ground, I couldn't help but notice he was wearing a beanie that pulled back his curly locks.  Is it true about what they say?  When Harry wears a beanie?  It can only mean one thing, one person . . . Kara Mohanaghan.

"So . . ."  I bulbed after an awkward silence drifted over us.  "Uh, what's up?"

Harry turned his face to mine.  "Nothing, really. I thought we might as well hang out one last time before the concert."

I nodded, though I still found it odd he choose me over Kara this time.  "Are the boys here yet?"

"Yep.  They flew in couple hours ago so we have rehearsals later."

"Oh, okay . . . cool.  Um . . . are you excited about the concert?"  I blindly traced my fingers along the hem of my shorts.  The conversation was so unbearably uncomfortable and I believed we both knew why -- Kara was haunting both of our thoughts.  Something must have happened between them that resulted in Harry being here right now.

"Eh," he shrugged indifferently.

"Eh?  Just eh?"

I blinked, taken aback by his reply.  Who doesn't get excited by the fact they have the opportunity to sing to thousands of people?  Or has he done it so many times it's become boring?