Chapter Four

Dave was woken up by Kurt mumbling things and shaking. He turned over to him and noticed he was having a bad dream.

"No... Stop... It hurts, stop!" Kurt mumbled.

"Kurt, Kurt, wake up!" Dave yelled and shook him.

Kurt immediately opened his eyes and rose up from the bed. He held onto Dave's arm tightly. He was gasping for air. "It was... Just a dream."

"Are you okay?" Dave asked him.

"Y-yeah." Kurt stuttered. Dave could feel him shaking and trembling.

Kurt slowly let go of Dave's arm and ran his fingers through his damp, tangly hair.

"I think I'm just gonna sit up the rest of the night." Kurt said and then he got out of bed and went to the small kitchen table. Dave followed behind him and sat across from him.

"You can go back to bed." Kurt whispered.

Dave shook his head. "I don't want you to sit here all by yourself. The nights are pretty long."

Kurt cleared his throat and lit up a cigarette. Dave watched as he slowly blew out smoke.

"What... What was you dream about?" Dave asked.

Kurt looked away. "I really don't wanna talk about it right now."

"You never really wanna talk about anything." Dave sighed.

Kurt ran his fingers through his hair again. He had been having the same nightmare for mouths now. He's never told anyone about it, and he doesn't plan on it.

"How old are you?" Dave asked out of nowhere.

"Twenty-seven." Kurt answered.

"Well, I'm twenty-five."

"Great." Kurt rolled his eyes.

"You really piss me off sometimes." Dave said through gritting teeth.

"I really hate you." Kurt said with a fake smile.

Dave looked Kurt deep in the eyes and what he saw broke him heart. He could see that Kurt was depressed and... Just something he really couldn't explain. Kurt wiped his eyes and looked down at the floor.

"Maybe we should be going." Dave said.

Kurt nodded. "Yeah, let's go."

Both of them went back out to the car.

"Let me drive." Kurt said.

Dave sighed. "Alright." Then he handed the keys to Kurt.

Kurt grinned and got into the drivers side. He started up the car and turned on the radio.

"Ready?" Kurt asked.

"Yeah. Let's go."