eleven | silent prayers

— erza —

Levy flicked through Gajeel's textbook, marking down the most likely questions that would appear in the test. "Shrimp, you're the best!"

Levy scoffed but couldn't hide her blush. "It's nothing!"

I checked my watch for the time. The long hand reached six pm exactly, and I stood up from the table, excusing myself to the bathroom. I didn't actually need the bathroom—the truth lay at the basement of my mansion, shielded by curtains.

Atop a stone table was my mother's picture. Just like me, she had red hair, except they were curly and long. The same determined, fierce expression mimicked my own. "M-mother," I said weakly, falling onto my knees.

This was the only place I was allowed to cry, I promised. With mother, everything was secluded. I could tell her everything without needing to worry about her response or her judgement. She was the only one there for me.

"Scarlet?"

Viciously wiping away my tears, I quickly stood up and took even, deep breaths. Jellal finding about this side of me would be a disaster. I was supposed to be strong and resigned.

"Where are you, Scarlet? You can't be taking that long in the bathroom." His voice reached out for me, teasing me. It became louder and louder, his footsteps following the path my own did just a moment ago. It stopped right before the entrance. "Scarlet," he spoke gently. "Can I come in?"

I wanted him to. Perhaps, deeply and truly, I wanted someone to know me for who I was, and not just the outer layer of my façade. Wiping my face furiously, I ran out of the room, disappearing through the curtains, and remerging into Jellal's chest.

"S-scarlet?" He asked, shocked. Not knowing what to do, he started stroking my hair. I whimpered louder. I was too weak to even let Jellal see my raw, breaking face. Jellal sighed, stopping the movement of his hands in my hair. I felt his hands grab my wrists and push them apart. "I want to see the real you, Scarlet."

Half-reluctantly, I allowed him to catch the sight of my face. "You don't need to hide from me, remember?" He looped my hair through his fingers, so that my whole face was in full view. "You're still beautiful."

Finally making my decision, I held his hand and brought him inside the room for him to meet my mother. When he saw the photo, his grip on mine tightened even further, reassuring me. Reassuring me that we'd face it together.

Kneeling, he placed two hands in front of him in prayer. "This is Erza's boyfriend, Jellal. I want to say that I will protect Erza from today onwards and make sure she's my first priority. I love her very much. I hope you approve of our relationship."

With a few more moments of closed eyes, Jellal finally stood up.

"I trust you," I told him. "I'll be awaiting your protection from now on," I said seriously.

Jellal patted my head. "Ready, Scarlet? Everyone else is waiting to do some maths."

I nodded, the last evidence of crying wiped away by Jellal's embrace.

— • —

a/n: supportive boyfriends are always the best kind!