"Ash, my poor esquire, everything around us are miracles," he says as he holds out his book. "Even telling stories like the ones inside my book are miracles. Stories can make you feel happy, sad, scared, angry, and even make you reflect on what is happening in your life all by telling a flowing narrative. That's why I like to write stories that are told throughout the world. I like to record the miracles of this life and if I like what I hear I offer a great miracle in exchange for something else."

"Why do you do that?" Ash asks.

"Because some miracles need a push from time to time," the bearded man answers. "And it would not do for someone to gain such a miracle without showing they are willing to sacrifice something in return no matter how good the story they tell me is."

Ash feels just as confused as before with this information before the man opens his book and smirks at him.

"Would you like to try your luck, Esquire Ash?" He asks.

Ash hesitates before he shrugs and says, "Okay, so I would just have to tell a story?"

"Indeed," the man says. "But not just any story. This has to be a true story. Your own story of something precious in your life. And I know just the kind of story that will suffice."

"And what is that?" Ash asks.

The man chuckles as he walks over to the tree, sits down and opens the book with his quill at the ready.

"Tell me the story of you and Queen Serena."

Ash looks at him surprised.

"What?" he asks.

"You heard me," the bearded man says. "Every man, woman, and child who used to live in Kalos or still does knows that there is no one else who loved the beloved queen more than her childhood friend and esquire. The only problem is there is no soul I have met that has been able to tell me why. So who better to fill in the blanks than the man in love himself?"

Ash feels uncomfortable and turns his head away from the bearded man.

"I don't think I want to," he says. "I don't feel comfortable sharing something so meaningful when I'm still grieving my loss."

"That's perfectly understandable," the man says. "But just because something bad has happened doesn't mean you should treat the good moments any less. Maybe you will find joy in telling how you came to know the queen and fell in love with her."

Ash hesitates again before he sighs and reluctantly says, "Alright, I'll give it a try."

"Excellent," the man says as he takes out his quill eagerly. "Whenever you are ready, young esquire."

Ash frowns as he sits down next to Whitey and sighs as he begins his tale.

"So I don't know if you were told by the other Kalos people, but I was an orphan most of my life," he says.

"Can't say I've been told that," the man answers honestly.

Ash nods in understanding before he continues.

"Well my parents died when I was little and so I was taken in by Old Man Oak who at the time was the horse caretaker for King Lysandre, Serena's father. I worked as a stable boy for Old Man Oak when I was growing up and eventually, that's when I met her.

*****************************************************************************************

A young Ash is standing next to a tall, old man as they hold on the ropes attached to a horse. The horse is on a violent rampage inside the stable and the old man and Ash are struggling to keep the horse under control.