Part 9 - Almost

Photo credit: Club Dance Mixes

https://www.clubdancemixes.com/summer-dance-a-thon-with-these-14-club-remixes/

It was her turn to man the fixed telecam by the stage. Jem was already feeling the effects of the liquor she had earlier. Or was it from kissing Dom? She now had her hair up in a high bun, freeing her neck from all obstruction.

JC helped her up, excitedly speaking in Italian, "Don't think I didn't see you and Dom coming out from the backstage!"

Jem beamed up at her tall housemate, "Nothing to be excited about! We just talked and had a beer."

JC narrowed his eyes at her, "Can't wait for the details!" Taking his place onstage, he shouted at Jem, "This will be our last and craziest set, Jem. Get ready, I will set this place on fire!"

Jem chuckled at his enthusiasm. Italians really are passionate and enigmatic people. "Sure thing J," she shouted back, "Give them all you've got!"

The music started to climb, reaching so slowly to that apex, wave after wave of throbbing beats. JC knows how to keep everyone moving, waiting, anticipating, and hanging on the edge of his beats, until finally, that wave of explosive music shattered the speakers, matched with the white explosion of lights and then there was darkness and pulsing colored lights and club music.

Jem panned her camera, capturing every second of it. She loved seeing people lose themselves in the music, almost feeling guilty that she's taking a primal moment for the ones whose eyes were closed, those whose bodies were touching, those totally abandoning to the moment. She knew her shots are seen in the overhead screens, and while it makes her vulnerable like opening her thoughts to strangers, she reveled in the fact that she's the one in control and no director was talking to her through a headset.

Her only instructions from Erika was to occasionally focus on the Shadowhunters cast, especially in this final set where they surely will be dancing their butts off. She briefly scanned the dance floor, taking her gaze away from the camera's viewfinder. Finding the now familiar blonde guy wearing a sling, she panned the camera to where Dom and the others were dancing.

They were having so much fun, now forming a circle for a dance-off. Chai came into the circle first, breaking into a robot dance and then easily shifting to keke moves. David came in next, gracefully flipping his body into crazy break dance moves. By now, people are enjoying the show, gathering around the cast's circle, or viewing the scene through the overhead screens.

Matthew pushed Kat to the center, and breaking into laughs, Kat busted some impressive Soulja boy moves. Will and Matt dragged each other for a Gangnam style and Single ladies dance duet. Nicola even went in and made every girl wish they were as limber as her with the way she pumped her body. Alberto led Dom into the center and together they  weasled their way into a Spice Girls' Stop dance routine, which made everyone laugh and swarm them with playful hugs and kisses.

With the dance circle broken, Jem panned her camera to widen the shot and capture the entire dance floor. JC was speaking on the microphone, "Everybody, grab somebody. We're down to our last song. It's now or never!" And the music exploded once again. People were jumping up and down, pulsing body against pulsing body.

Finally securing the camera for this last wide shot, Jem jumped off the stage to dance with the other con staff, suddenly feeling the need to sweat out the liquor and let loose. She surrendered herself to the music, raising her arms and closing her eyes.

"Jem!" She heard someone call her name. Opening her eyes, she was surprised to see Dom, standing awkwardly from trying to shield his right arm from being jossled.

"Dom, you shouldn't be here! It's too crowded!" she shouted. She didn't mean to but that was the only way she could possibly be heard. 

"Dance with me," he said, mouthing the words. His left hand pointing to himself and he was grinning like a teenage boy.

She can't help but smile back, "You are such a dork!" she shouted again. Taking his hand,  she let him to the fringes of the dancing crowd.

Reaching a less illumined space just outside the view of her camera, she turned back and looked up at Dom. There were less dancing bodies around them but they could only move so much, their bodies almost touching.

"Let's see those moves, Dom," she challenged with an eyebrow raised.

He bit his lip and moved a little closer to Jem. He was not even dancing, just caressing her face with his gaze. His colored eyes were dark pools she can drown herself into, her skin burning where his left hand touched her waist.

Jem held his gaze, swaying her hips to the music, her hands moving up his arms and resting lightly on his shoulders. His right arm held hostage in the sling was between them and it should have been awkward, but Jem was thankful for it. At least he won't feel much of the heat radiating from her body.

Without thinking she raised herself on tiptoe, her right hand firmly gripping his shoulder for support, his hand sliding to rest on the small of her waist. As they moved, her trained eyes saw movements at the exclusive area over Dom's shoulder, jolting her quickly back to her senses.

Dom was already bending his neck towards her, their lips about to meet, their breaths  intermingling, when she turned her head grazing her left cheek with his right and whispered, "You have to go. Your assistant is already looking for you."

Dom let out a sigh, slowly letting her go, his hand lingering on her arm. "You have the worst possible timing, Jem."

Yes, and I'm kicking myself for it, Jem thought. "Go," was all she said, taking a step back.

"Signor." A convention staff was already invading their space, "Your companions are already outside."

"Ci vediamo domani*?" Dom asked, already walking backwards.

"Si**," Jem replied, almost in a whisper.

—-

*See you tomorrow

**Yes