Part 11 - Questions and Answers

Photo credit: Pet Backer

https://www.petbacker.com/blog/how-to/here-are-5-tips-you-have-to-know-before-going-to-a-dog-event-near-you

--

Author's Note: Let me digress a little bit just to say thank you if you've followed the story this far. I also just want to say that this is a fictional story about these lovely actors and people who we all admire. I could not stress enough that this story does not in any way reflect who they really are nor does it intend to assume anything about their lives.

I just got to let this out hoping that nobody gets offended by the way this narrative has so far played out. If anything, I would only like for you to enjoy the story, an alternate universe into which we get to view through rainbow-colored magical lenses! Thanks again for reading! Ciao!

--

A little past noon, most animals have yet to be adopted. While people have shown interest on the stray cats and dogs, only a handful of them wanted to sign up and be potential adoptive parents. Maybe it was the tedious screening process, Jem thought, since all their animals were groomed, chipped, and adorably cute in their own unique ways. Nobody should be able to resist.

It was her turn to go on a break after manning the interviews. She took time with every pairing, letting the person and cat or dog get to know each other, and taking photos of each encounter. If not for her growling stomach, she would not have taken a break to eat.

"You know I really like this girl in school. I hope she comes today," Red was telling her while they eat their lunch. He was the youngest of the volunteers and son of one of the owners of the animal shelter. They have been chatting in Italian over homemade pasta and soda.

"She will if you invited her," Jem responded, trying to level Red's expectations. "I can actually relate. But I can't invite him here," she paused, "Or anywhere for that matter." She hoped Red did not hear the disappointment in her voice. 

Cheering up, she asked, "Can you tell me something about your crush? Why you like her?"

"She's cute, kind, confident, and loves music. She plays soccer too," Red was grinning at nothing. Then he looked at Jem, "Why can't you invite your crush anywhere?"

"He's busy, not from around here, and leaving tomorrow," she said, counting with her fingers.

"That sucks," Red could not be more right. "How did you like him then?"

"I worked with him yesterday," Jem paused, feeling amused that she's explaining her feelings to a 14 year old. "Aside from looking like an angel, he's also funny, kind and smart," she paused, mirroring Red's wide smile, "but not as much you kiddo." 

"Does your angel have blond hair, tattoos, and an arm in a sling?" Red asked, a straw in his mouth. He was looking at something past her.

"Yeah," she was replied, finishing off her pasta. "Wait, how did you know that?" Jem almost choked, wondering how Red knew. She took a big gulp from her soda.

"Because he's over there," he was pointing to where the registration booth was. "Talking with my mom."