Some Kind Of Magic

Once again, you find yourself lost in memories that felt foreign, yet so familiar. As if stuck on repeat, you watched the same pictures flash by you, over and over again. Their meaning and origin, both remained a mystery to you. No matter how hard you tried, you simply could not dismiss them due to the uncanny feeling of familiarity they caused.

It was only when the world around you began shaking, that you finally began to wake up from your endless slumber. As you groggily opened your eyes, you were met with Asriel's face. Within his emerald eyes lies a hint of fear as his facial expression began to shift into concern.

"Are you alright? You looked like you had an unpleasant dream," Asriel spoke in a soft and soothing voice. He didn't want to startle you as he feared the possible consequences.

"Yes, I am fine," you nearly hissed at Asriel, which almost caused him to stumble backwards in shock.

"Sorry about that," you sighed as you apologized. "I just had a really weird dream."

"I-it's alright, don't worry about it," Asriel said trying to sound reassuring. Unfortunately, his nervous stutter betrayed his reassurance.

The morning continued the same way it did many times before. Asriel took a shower while you were reading through the play's script. Once Asriel was finished, you took a shower and left to go eat breakfast afterwards.

Just like yesterday, Lonnie invited himself over to sit with you, much to your displeasure. Just who did he think he is? Didn't he know that it's considered rude to just sit down by a table without asking?

"Morning guys. How're you doing?" he greeted with a smile on his face. You simply looked at him with the same hatred you held for those who were involved in the experiment that created you. You're never going to like that guy.

"Don't mind ____. He's just having a bad day," Asriel casually remarked.

"Don't worry about it. I know he hates me," Lonnie said ignoring your hostility towards him. In fact, he almost laughed it off.

"Actually, I'm only hear to give you a quick update. I began working on the article about that entire Neko experimentation program."

"I'm sure you wouldn't mind sending me a copy before you publish it, would you?" you asked not believing a single word he was saying. You figured that pinning him to that promise will keep him in check with what he would be doing with that knowledge.

"Sure, I'll send you a copy once I'm done writing. I would have done that anyway because you're directly involved after all," he said happily agreeing, which only infuriated you even more.

"What do you hope to accomplish anyway? Everyone involved in the experiment is dead, except a handful of Nekos. The majority of evidence was destroyed, and Nekos as a species will die out sooner or later. Your article won't do anything, since the entire experiment was literally a dead issue," you stated bluntly. You still didn't believe him and began to question Lonnie's motives, which didn't seem to faze him at all.

"That may be true, but I still think the public has a right to see the atrocities that happened during the experiment. It would be wrong to sweep stuff like that under the carpet," he calmly explained, undeterred by your hostility.

"A little too late for that. The damage was already done and not a single person bothered lifting a finger to prevent what happened," you sneered remaining unimpressed and ultimately unconvinced by Lonnie's reasoning. His explanation only seemed to infuriate you more. All you wanted was a single slip of the tongue. A small, seemingly unimportant remark you could pin him down on. Anything that would confirm your suspicions.