Calm

You wake up from your uneasy and all too short slumber, feeling as if the heavy weight that rests on your shoulder got just a little lighter. Asriel, to your own surprise, was still fast asleep.

The morning sun threw it's soft light in the room, giving off the feeling of a new beginning. It almost felt as if an ocean of dark gray clouds finally dispersed after countless years, giving place to the first real sunrise. But even though the skies were clear, it still felt as if the storm hasn't passed yet.

It was still rather early and you didn't really feel like getting out of bed but his was college and not vacation, you had to get used to it. So you crawled out of bed and sluggishly walked to the bathroom. A nice shower should help you wake up. A few minutes later and you stepped out of the shower again, feeling only slightly more awake. While you were busy drying yourself off and brushing your hair the sound of someone trying to open the door, knocking following soon after, caught your attention. Fortunately you locked the door.

"____, are you in there?" A voice, presumably Asriel's, could be heard from outside.

"Yeah, what's the matter?" You answered in a relatively casual voice.

"Nothing, just asking." Asriel responded.

Once you finished up you left the bathroom, spotting Asriel sitting on his bed. He looked like he was still tired, almost as if he got no sleep at all.

"Are you alright?" You asked, feeling slightly worried.

"Kinda. It's just, I've been thinking about everything you told me. I couldn't get any sleep because of it." He sighed, looking like he's about to fall asleep again at any moment. "It explains a lot about you and why you're the way you are."

"But it doesn't explain what I am." You looked off to the side with gloomy expression.

"You're human." Asriel said, almost as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. At least to him it was.

"Am I? I don't feel human." You began to sound frustrated. The lack of identity began to drive you crazy.

Asriel, however, had a questioning look on his face. Things were already starting to get a little above his head. Probably because he's still tired.

"I mean, I'm clearly not human. You just have to look at my ears and tail. Heck, even my eyes aren't human. So if I am human, does that mean you're human too? What does it mean to be 'human' in the first place? What does it mean to be 'monster'? Is there a difference? If not, then why do differentiate between them?" You began to ask countless questions. Questions with an infinite amount of answers, none of them right or wrong.

While you kept asking questions that no one could give you answers too, Asriel's brain began smoking. That was until he came up with, what he thought to be, a great answer.

"You are ____, that's who you are." He proudly exclaimed his half cooked idea.

"____, you say? So I'm a name, nothing more and nothing less. Would that mean that I'd loose my identity if I loose my name? Would you loose you identity if you lost your name? A name is just a word we use to refer to each other. It's only a part of who you are. But I guess I know what you're trying to say and I'd have to agree. I am me, that's who I am and that's who I always will be." A long sigh, almost as if you held your breath for a long time, escaped your throat.

"Ehm, yeah. That's exactly what I was trying to say." Asriel quickly blurted out. Your conclusion was totally not what he was getting at. He himself didn't know what he was getting at.