Chapter Two - The Beginning

I was scrubbing the floor, with a toothbrush, which was hard cause I have 4 bruised ribs and a wrongly healed left wrist. The twins were in the living room coloring and Jake was watching them. When all of a sudden the door rang.

I decided to ignore it seeing as I would get hit if I did open it, but yet if I don't and it's someone that Karen knows, I'll get hit. They started knocking. I guess that they aren't giving up. I got up, took off the robe, and put on the ratty old dress. Jake started crying from them being loud, but they continued knocking. I went to the living room and despite my pain in my ribs, I picked Jake up, put old sunglasses on, and walked to the door.

Once I got to the door I looked on the mirror and lifted my glasses to see how bad my black eye was, yep, still black. I put the sunglasses on and looked through the peep hole. "Stay in the living room and be quiet kids. Don't say a thing" I said quietly. The both nodded and hid behind a chair. I adjusted a now sleeping Jake in my arms and looked through the peep hole again.

They were FBI. Crap. I cracked the door open and looked at them. One was really short and the other was a head higher. "FBI agent Johnson and agent and Swanson." the shorter one said. He bent down to my height. "Are your parents home?" he asked. I shook my head no.

"how old are you?" The short one asked. I looked down then looked at the tall one back to the short one. "16." I whispered.

The short one straightened up and the tall one said " and you are all alone with a new born and twin toddlers?". I looked surprised. How did he know about the twins? I looked to see both twins looking around the corner at the door. As soon as they saw me looking at them they hid again. I looked back at the agents.

They were both smiling sympathetically. I closed the door and unlocked it and open it so they could come in. Once they started coming in I readjusted my sunglasses so they don't see the bruise. They came in and stopped so I could close the door and show them to the living room.

Once they sat on the couch I had told the twins to sit in the chair and had Jack hold Jake with the help of Jill so he didn't get hurt. I showed them how to hold him and they sat quietly. I walked over to the agents. "Would you like anything to eat or drink? I have coffee and water, I could make tea if you wanted." I said.

"No ma'am but thank you." Said the taller one. I nodded and sat in the chair next to the twins while checking on them at the corner of my eye. "We would like to start by asking where your parents are." Said the shorter one. I didn't know what to say. "Work" I said kinda fast. They both nodded.

"There is a case on a girl named Tina Edwards. Do you know her?" Said the taller one. I like him better. He seems nicer. "No. Well, I mean I knew OF her I just didn't know her. She goes to the school here." I said. "You don't?" Said the shorter one, kinda fast.

"I'm homeschooled." I said. That's my answer. It was always my answer. I wasn't really. The rules were that I wasn't allowed to tell anyone about being hit, I wasn't allowed to eat food without permission, I was only allowed one liter of water a day, I had to get ALL my chores done or else I would get extra punishment, I wasn't allowed to know my birth family, be in bed by 8, get up at night with Jake, and make sure the twins and Jake weren't malnourished.

"What is your name?" Agent Swanson said in a whisper manner. I looked at him. "McKayla, but I'm usually called just kayla." I said. "What's your last name?" He said. "My-my last name?" I asked. Why did he wanna know. Cause honestly I didn't even know. He nodded. "Don't foster home gave me the last name Sommers. So it's Sommers I guess." I answered.

They both looked at each other and back at me. "You we're adopted?" Said agent Johnson. I nodded. "Well, technically I'm fostered but Karen is trying to make me think I'm adopted." I said matter of factly. They both looked surprised. "So you are taking care of twins and a new born that u aren't even related to? So they are like your foster siblings?" He stated.

" this is getting personal, what does this have to do with Tina?" I asked. "It doesn't we just have to check all angles." Said agent Swanson. He looked over to the twins. "Don't." I said. They looked at me confused. I stood up and grabbed Jake from the twins. "Snack time guys." I said to the twins. The got up and went to the door way and look at the agents. "I'll be right back. I have to rent to the kids before Karen gets home."  I told them.

I walked into the kitchen. I layed Jake in my one arm, which hurt, a lot, and grabbed some grapes from the fridge and two bananas. I was out of breath from trying to rush so I had to stop. While trying to catch my breath, my head started to feel funny. I can't explain how I felt. Then the sound started to slowly fade and then my sight started to go black. I saw the twins crying as I started swaying.

Them crying must have scared the Agents because they came rushing into the kitchen, ran over to me and kept asking if I was okay, I think. I can't hear anything, I can only see there mouth moving, just barely. I tried hold onto Jake but I felt weak. All of a sudden, blackness.

Yep. I did that. And I wrote this on the second day of my cruise so I have more written two. So I can wait as LONG as I want to post it. I know. I'm evil. So stay posted and you will see the next chapter. Why was she seeing stuff? Why did she get weak? Did she get protective of the twins because she cares or because she is afraid of what will happen when Karen's comes home? Find out in the next chapter. Just some questions to think about. Okay, I've said too much. Bye!