Floured camels

It is called Illusionary Magic, al-qamrah in Arabic, and it is all just a trick. Whatever magic seems to happen is all fake and always has a logical explanation. It consists of magicians pretending to cut off heads and reattach them. It's a form of manipulation, making the audience think they see one thing, but really another thing is happening.

I remember Sahir being very pleased when Islamic aristocrats could tell that his works of magic were real ones, and the fake magician's works weren't. These fake magicians didn't help ailments with their brews or protect buyers with their charms, they were just fakers trying to make a few fals.

Sahir hated fake magicians because once, before he had his own home and alchemy workshop, he would sell on the streets like any other merchant. But, he would make real amulets, real charms, real potions and poisons and counter curses. He would do real palm readings and real astrology charts. But, others, fake magicians would powder a camel in flour, and call it a jinn, and say it would do his bidding. He would go hungry for a week because some child was more interested in the floury camel than the astrology chart.

He always told me, "Real magic isn't all flashes and bangs, it isn't quick. It takes time and energy. And, it costs more than flour." He really hated the knot blowers.

The reason why people preferred cheaper amulets? Well, it was the most common form of jewelry. Even if they were made by blameworthy magicians, they were still popular.

Yes, there were other magic items. No. No, as far as I know, no Muslim family owned the Hammer of Thor. Yes, save your dwarf made goods for your own red-haired people.

What they did have were charms and medicines. They were made with the methods of alchemy and were made to be anti-poisons and medicines. Alchemists made remedies and medicines for people, and magicians made amulets and charms.

Wow, you have a good memory, don't you Redbeard. Yes, the Quran did accept magic. Yes, it did. It talked about spells and magical practices. Even who practiced it. Magic is mentioned in al-falaq and an-nas. Two surahs in the Quran. Yes, the Quran is divided into surahs. Al-falaq is surah 113, and an-nas is surah 114.

Al-falaq says, "I seek refuge in the lord of daybreak.

From the evil of that which He has created.

And from the evil darkness when it settles.

And from the evil of the blowers in knots.

And from the evil of an envier when he envies."

(Quran)

So, this surah basically states, protect me from magic.

Ah ha! You are impressed with my recitation! I shall remember that!

An-nas basically says the same thing, only it describes jinn.

"I seek refuge in the Lord of mankind.

The sovereign of mankind.

The God of mankind,

From the evil of the retreating whisperer,

Who whispers[evil] into the breasts of mankind.

From among the jinn and mankind."

(Quran)

This is the surah that clearly shows how much the Quran opposes magic. Aha! See, when I said the Quran accepts jinn and magic to be real things, I did not mean that the religion liked it! On the contrary!

When I was studying with Ali al-Sahir, I was scoffed at by some Muslims for being in league with the devil. Or with the jinn in their case. In fact, when I was with Scot, some of the Muslims were scared of them, so when I was lost once in the city and turned to a boy for help, he knew who I was, and ran away, screaming, "Jinn, jinn! He's a jinn!"

I was confused and didn't know what that meant until Scot explained it to me. He explained that Muslims generally think that magic is bad, and does only evil. He explained that when the Seal of the Prophets, Muhammed, grew ill, the Muslims, his followers, thought it was an enemy in Medina casting a spell on him to make him ill. So, magic wasn't all that amazing in Baghdad.

Well, I hope that was an interesting enough story for you. I can see some of you have fallen asleep. Maybe I can just creep over here and, nope. Nevermind. Hello, Redbeard, what made you think I was running away? I was just admiring your shiny-your shiny ax over here! Yes, it's mighty sharp! I just hope I won't have to test it out for you! What? Are you letting me go? Thank you! Oh. Oh, alright then. No, don't worry. I won't tell anyone. You can count on me. What? What do you mean? Oh, I'm not crossing my fingers. Oh, well, I didn't realize you didn't know what it meant. Then, yes I am crossing my fingers. It just means that I promise. Yes. That's what it means. But don't actually ever use it. Thank you so much, Redbeard. Yes, I appreciate the gesture. No, I'll skip the mead, thank you. Oh, wonderful. You're going to leave me in these ropes, huh? Alright. I'll make do. Thank you.