Michael Scot

Michael Scot was born in 1175 in Scotland. He's a well-known magician, astrologer, mathematician, and philosopher. Well, at least he's well known to Fibonacci. He travels the world, and studies astrology, philosophy, and mathematics. He knows many languages, including Arabic, the language or the Arabs and Muslims in Baghdad. Since there, astrology is thought to be real magic, Scot was thought to be a real magician in Baghdad. But, I think he could be a magician from his mathematical ideas! Not that you care, or anything.

Actually, Fibonacci's second book was dedicated him. Although the Arabs are convinced of his magical abilities, the Europeans aren't. Scot was even included in a depiction of Hell, that showed dead illusionists, and al-qamrah practicing men. I guess the idea was that someone thought Scot was a knot blower and not a real magician. I mean, I guess some stories about him can be a little far-fetched, but he did study astrology, after all. One story is that he turned a "coven of witches" into stone, and those stones now make up the circle of Long Meg and her daughters. Another story, the more far-fetched one, is that Scot foresaw himself being killed by a small stone to the head, so now he always wears a little metal skull cap. I don't know if the sight he foresaw will ever happen, but he does love his skullcap. Another story is that he dined with friends in France and hosted a banquet where spirits acted as waiters. (Bricken) Do you have banquets in-where ever you come from? Of course, you do. Wow, I'm stupid.

Anyway, I believe that stuff about him, actually. In Baghdad, Arabs and Muslims believe that real magicians harness jinn and stuff like that. (TMA) I mean, I was studying astrology and alchemy and was learning how to make real charms and amulets, not just the sham that the illusionists sold. Scot also knew some al-qamrah tricks, and he showed them to me during the trip to Baghdad. They were really amazing, and I found it quite hard to believe they weren't real.

When I arrived in Baghdad, I thought I had reached heaven. The gold-domed ceilings of the palaces and libraries shone as bright as the heavens in the Arabian sunlight, and the city! The city was the dream of every European scholar. There are sellers on every street, a beggar on every path, children playing in every road, people in every store, Muslims in every mosque, and scholars walking to their libraries, hospitals, and schools. I thought, "This is the pride of the world!" Not that you guys aren't amazing or anything.

When I was a young boy and went to school, I learned of Alexandria and Greece, Rome and Egypt, but I was never taught of the splendor that the world of Islam held. It is so much different than Europe! The scholars there are not all men, but there are many female scholars as well! In Baghdad nobody cares about your age and gender, they just welcome whoever is qualified! I see you do that too. This woman behind me looks stronger than the god painted on your shield! No, I didn't mean it that way. Your gods are obviously very powerful.

Well, anyway, Scot had taken a great liking to me during the trip, and so I was appointed to be his personal assistant. This meant that I could explore the city with him every day, and meet inventors, doctors, and magicians. Unfortunately, I had only learned a very small amount of Arabic on the trip, so I could only take out bits and pieces of conversations that Scot had with other scholars and magicians.

I still know some too! أتمنى أن أتمكن من كسر عنقك الآن. No, I don't really want to say what it means. Oh, well, if you brandish that spear at me, and then ask me, then it means I wish I could break your neck right now. Haha, yes I'm glad you thought that was funny. Right, I should probably start the story again before you've given my comment much more thought.