Chapter 12

"The library is closing down now.''

Ella sighed and quickly gathered the books that she'd borrowed from the library and followed the librarian out. The lady locked the door behind her, letting out a small yawn. She looked tired after a long day and was in a hurry to go home. Ella thanked her and walked hastily in the opposite direction towards her locker to keep all her extra books away.

As she paced down the empty hallways she couldn't help but feel a little eerie. Not even a single person was around and the lights were slowly shutting down. She looked down at her watch, it read 6.15pm.

Oh no!

She ran faster. When she finally reached her locker, she quickly dumped all her books inside and slammed the locker shut. Then she sped down the hallway as fast as she could. By this time, all the lights had been turned off and every single door was locked.

Dear Lord!

"Help!" She shouted, banging on the door. 

"Is anyone there? Please help me!" She banged on the door and continued to shout for help but nobody seemed to be around–the school was absolutely deserted.

Feeling helpless, she rummaged through her backpack– searching for her mobile phone. She found it and hastily pressed the side button to open the screen lock–hoping to find some light in the darkness. But it seemed as if the universe was against her. Her phone's battery was dead!

No, no, no!

She clutched her hair with both her hands and slumped down against the closed door– all she could see around was far stretched, endless darkness and with the heaters turned off, it was getting very chilly.

A cold wind blew past her– suddenly making her feel a dark presence around her. Ella shivered with cold and fearfully wrapped her arms around herself. She felt miserable in the darkness, it was suffocating her. Tears welled in her eyes and trickled down her face continually.

It was then, she heard an odd sound in the eerie silence. She froze in terror as she heard the familiar strange screeching footsteps coming from the left corridor. It was her. She knew, it was her. Her pulse raced so fast that it felt as if it would crash any moment. Terrified, she got up and banged the doors again, hoping this time somebody would listen to the noise and come to her rescue.

She could hear the footsteps coming closer and closer towards her. Helpless, she started running in the darkness–1towards the door on the other end of the long corridor.

She might have ran halfway, when abruptly she stopped. She could feel someone grab both her legs–ceasing her from running to the other side. A moment later, she felt her legs leaving the floor and lifting upwards, then slowly her body turned horizontal and elevated up high. Ella was hung in the air in the middle of the dark corridor– fearful and miserable. But more than anything she felt deeply anguished.

"Let go off me. Let go off me!" Ella shouted out loud in agony and desperation. The anguish had caused some kind of an adrenaline rush in her–making her scream, loudest as possible.

A few seconds later, she was rammed forcefully into the wall and she came down crashing– falling onto the cold titled floor with a loud thud. She cried out loud feeling intense pain shooting through her head, back and arms. She could feel the warm liquid gushing out from her head and flowing down her face.

Tears ran down her eyes hysterically and all she could do was cry. She cried silently in pain, agony, helplessness, misery, frustration. The walls of the school building seemed to shiver– hearing her painful sobs. Just then, the door at end of the hallway flung open and lights coming from the other side of the door lightened up the dark hallway.

Ella opened her eyes and tried to stand but her legs felt weak, she felt light headed and a moment later darkness flashed before her eyes and she crumpled down on the ground. She vaguely saw a tall figure pacing towards her before she drifted into unconsciousness.

___________

A/N:
Thanks so much for reading. Sorry for the cliffhanger though. ;)