Chapter 11

The bell rang signalling school was over for the day. Ella rushed out of the class and headed towards the school library. She'd already informed her aunt and cousins this morning that she'll be staying back in the library after school to work on her assignments.

Aunt Maria was concerned about her travelling alone in the new city and offered to give her a ride home but Ella had refused, assuring her that she could take the subway. It didn't feel nice to be dependent on her cousins and aunt for a ride all the time especially now when Ella could sense that Betty was trying to avoid her.

It felt strange as she seemed normal till last evening when their grandparents had visited them but later that night Betty didn't sleep in her room, she slept in Maria's room and from today morning she'd been ignoring Ella–like she didn't want to be in the same car with her. Though James had been trying to lighten up the mood every now and then but Ella couldn't avoid the vibes she was getting from Betty. She had begun to feel like an unwanted guest who was forcibly being tolerated.

The fact was painful but she couldn't blame Betty for it. Ella knew that the reason for Betty's changed behaviour had something to do with her curse. Ella needed to talk to her and ask her about what'd happened, even though Betty was avoiding her like a plague– she wanted to apologise to her for whatever she'd been through. After all, Ella was the one responsible for it. Guilt washed over her and a knot formed in her throat. She sighed and glumly entered the enormous library.

The library was almost empty, with rows and rows of tables and computers lying vacant. Ella went straight to librarian who sat behind the large desk and asked for her help to find the books. The old lady gladly helped her find all the books that she required for her assignment. After collecting a gigantic pile of books, she placed them carefully on a table and sat down to start with her work.

_______

Continued in the next chapter.