Chapter 7

Ella blankly stared at her English teacher, Mrs. Jones as she coherently recited and explained a para from an old classic poetry. Ella had been trying hard to focus on what Mrs. Jones was so enthusiastically speaking about but her efforts were going in vain. Her mind was preoccupied with so many other thoughts that she couldn't concentrate on anything, no matter how much she tried.

After some more dreadful minutes of continuous speaking, Mrs. Jones finally decided to stop and got busy in her own work. Ella heaved a sigh of relief and stared out of the glass window across the wide open field. The weather outside seemed excessively gloomy as if it was reflecting her state of mind.

It was Ella's second day in Prescott High and it had been much different from her first day except that today a few of her classmates had approached her for some casual talks. They'd asked her if she wanted to be part of their groups or was willing to hang out with them after school but Ella had smartly and politely managed to decline their offers by giving excuses that she hoped sounded genuine.

She knew it from the very first day that she'd fallen into the anti-social category but she couldn't care less about her social status when she had bigger and more serious issues in life to deal with. To begin, she had to cover up for the classes that she'd missed over the past few months and had to submit two assignments by next week for joining midterm. But most importantly– she needed to find a place for herself to live and move out of her aunt's house before the situation gets out of control.

She sighed. Every single day was a struggle of which there seemed to be no end. She didn't know how long would she be able to bear it. The thought scared her, she didn't want to think about it. However, for now, all she wanted was to keep away from causing harm to anyone and survive High School without being noticed.

The loud ring of the school bell pulled Ella out of her train of thoughts. After a miserably long day it was finally time to go home. Gathering her stuff she quickly left the classroom and headed to her locker to keep the extra books that she didn't need to carry everyday. After dumping her books inside the locker she sprinted towards the exit.

On her way down the corridor she took her phone out and typed a quick text message to her cousins informing them that she'll be there in the parking lot in a few minutes. Walking speedily down the corridor she took a right turn and suddenly bumped hard into something or rather someone.

Ow! Ella sensed a tingling pain creeping up in her nose. She dropped her head down and covered her nose with her hands, trying to soothe away the pain.

"Sorry, I didn't see you coming...are you okay?" She heard a smoothe and alluring voice ask her.

Ella moved her hands away from her face, embarrassed to divulge that she'd stupidly hurt herself. She jerked her head up to answer him but was astound to meet a familiar pair of hazel green eyes. His mesmerizing eyes widened for a moment as though he was surprised to see her there, then his expression changed into a concerned one. He noticed that the girl who'd just bumped into him had hurt herself. Ella instantly dropped her gaze down feeling a deep blush crawling up her face.

"You alright?" He asked her again.

She felt too embarrassed to speak– without looking at him, she simply nodded as an answer then lowered her head again and walked past him towards the exit.

What on God's green Earth did just happen?

________________

A/N:
Thanks for reading. Please feel free to vote and comment. xoxo