Chapter 8

The sky’s hue slowly darkened as the sun set below the horizon and the coffee house illuminated with bright lights, merrily gleaming all over for Christmas.

The rush hours in the café were over as the clock ticked past 9pm. Having nothing else to do, Ella sat down to work on her assignments. After a while of searching the internet, she figured out that Google didn't have most of the answers to her questions and that she'd have to use the school library to finish her work.

Closing her notebook, she stood up and was about to head upstairs when the bells over the cafè door chimed. She tuned around and was surprised to see the person who'd just entered.

"Grandpa!" 

Ella ran and hugged her grandad, feeling happy to see him after a long time. Standing beside him was an old and kind looking lady. Ella's grandfather officially introduced his wife, Catherine or Cathy, as he liked to call her.

Cathy looked like a wise old lady with a kind heart that reflected and shined through her smile. Ella was pleased to meet her new grandmother. Maria and the trio also came downstairs to greet them, overjoyed by their sudden visit.

They closed the cafè and the family gathered around the dining table in the apartment- eating and talking.

Patrick Robinson, her grandfather was the kind of person who could turn a dull and boring atmosphere into a joyful one by his presence. He got along really well with his grandchildren.

After dinner, they gathered in the living area and Keith excitedly asked his Grandpa to tell them a ghost story.
Ella wasn't surprised–it was the most heated subject in the house after all.

Silence surged the room as everyone attentively listened to the old man narrate his personal experiences from his old house in City Island– a neighbourhood island within New York City.

He told them that he heard voices of his dead wife and mother–he often heard footsteps of someone walking down the hallways–it was unnerving and he went into depression for many days. It was only after meeting Cathy that his life became better.

Ella remembered that he had shifted to Cathy's house after their marriage. He lovingly looked at his wife and smiled. Ella felt happy for them. She knew that her grandad had been lonely and depressed for a long time after the death of grandma but she thought the reason for his depression was the loss of his wife. She didn't know that it was also because of the fact that his old house was haunted.

_____________