chapter twenty .

It happened shortly after the fireworks began.

For the most part, Jimin had been fully invested in the fantastic display of lights and colors in the sky, and he was perfectly satisfied holding Yoongi's hand while watching them, too. It was like a date. A romantic date. Except they weren't dating. Jimin had to remind himself of this, otherwise he might have accidentally done something he shouldn't.

That aside, somewhere in the middle of the fireworks, Jimin noticed something. A couple things, actually, starting with the feeling of Yoongi's grip on his hand weakening. And when he looked at Yoongi, Jimin saw that the boy's face had become pale. Unusually and concernedly pale. His breathing was shaky. But this time, Jimin knew it wasn't because of anxiety or anything of the sort. Something else was wrong.

"Yoongi, are you feeling alright?"

"Fine, I'm fine."

He wasn't. His suspiciously quick answer only added to Jimin's hunch. He pressed his free hand against Yoongi's forehead.

"Holy crap, you're hot."

"Thanks, I guess..."

"N-no, I mean, Yoongi, I think you have a fever."

Yoongi's eyelids, which were already half-closed, blinked once, slowly, as he whispered, "Nah, that can't be right."

Jimin felt Yoongi's cheek, then the back of his neck--both an uncomfortably high temperature. He didn't know when this had happened. Yoongi hadn't let on at all that he was feeling unwell. Now all of a sudden the mint-haired boy appeared on the verge of passing out.

"Jimin, I don't feel so good."

"See, I freaking told y-"

He stumbled forward into Jimin's arms, and by the time Jimin managed to find a bench for them to sit on, Yoongi had lost consciousness for the second time that day. And Jimin spun into a panic for the second time that day. Yoongi was burning up. Sweat covered his face and neck. Anxious, Jimin took out his phone and hastily called Namjoon's number. Maybe he can help. He's bound to know what to do.

The phone rang once. Twice. Three times.

Click.

"Jimin?"

"Namjoon, something's wrong with Yoongi," Jimin blurted.

"What? What do you me--no, I-...I'm on the phone, Jin, just a sec--what's wrong, Jimin? Is he okay?"

"His body's really hot, I think h-"

"Whoa, now hold on there, buddy."

"Let me finish. I think he has a fever."

"Let me talk to him."

"He's out cold."

"I thought you said he was really hot."

"Namjoon, please..." Jimin released a sigh of exasperation. "I'm worried and I don't really know what to do. Can you please help me?"

"Yeah...yeah, of course I will. Just tell me where you are."

Jimin lifted his head for a moment and looked around. "Near the amusement park entrance, right outside this place selling ice cream. Is that specific enough?"

"Yeah, I think I know where you're talking about. I'll be there as soon as I can. Just hang on."

"Alright," Jimin replied softly, gaze drifting over to Yoongi's resting face. "Hurry."