chapter fifteen .

Summer break was approaching. And that meant that preparations for the school's annual fair were to begin, taking up a large portion of the day where other classes had formerly been. Naturally, many students were ecstatic about this, for they much rather preferred fair preparations over...well, pretty much anything else. And a great number of them looked forward to the fair and were more than happy to pour hard work and enthusiasm into something that would be worthwhile.

Min Yoongi was not among those people. To him, this annual fair was just about as pointless as PE. If not more so. Nonetheless, he didn't really have a choice with this, either. Students were graded for participation. So even if all he did was glue pieces of cardboard together or sprinkle glitter on paper, he had to do something.

The classroom wasn't in any kind of order. Desks were scattered, students were scattered, supplies were scattered, Yoongi's brain felt scattered... Being sleep-deprived (yet again) didn't help. He couldn't concentrate on what he was doing, and the absurd commotion his classmates were causing only made matters worse. Honestly, at this point Yoongi was lucky he didn't have a pair of scissors in his hand, else he might have accidentally hurt himself due to lack of focus.

For a fair amount of time he was by himself in one corner of the room. Eyes heavy, stomach growling, striving to tune out all the voices clouding his head. How was he supposed to get anything done in these conditions? As if his motivation weren't nonexistent enough. He checked his phone. Namjoon hadn't texted him. Of course he hadn't. He was probably busy actually getting things done.

"Yoongi, there you are!"

Yoongi's head, nearly on the desk after he had begun to doze off, shot up abruptly at the sound of his name, and he looked up to find Jimin standing in front of his desk, carrying a large brown box atop which rested a box cutter. Taehyung sidestepped out from behind Jimin. He then waved apathetically at Yoongi, who waved apathetically back. This was becoming a regular thing. It almost seemed, to Yoongi, that is, that Taehyung was trying to be nice and social, but evidently failing each time by the obvious look of disinterest on his face. Exactly the opposite of Jimin, who unfailingly had a smile on every time he appeared before Yoongi.

"I've been here for a little while now," Yoongi said eventually. His eyes slowly returned to the colored pieces of paper in front of him. "I'm supposed to be making signs...or designing them...I don't even know anymore."

"Will we distract you by sitting here?"

He lifted his eyes. Jimin was gesturing at two empty chairs nearby as he patiently awaited a response. Taehyung, on the other hand, went to retrieve the chairs before Yoongi could even consider giving the okay.

"...does it matter what I think?" He sighed and flicked a pen cap off his desk. "I'm pretty sure no person could possibly distract me more than I am right now. So by all means." He looked at Taehyung. "Take a seat."

Jimin and Taehyung did just that. However Jimin soon stood up again, for he discovered it was much easier to work with such a large box on the desk this way.

"What's that about?"

"This box?" Jimin patted the sides of it and beamed. "No idea," he answered Yoongi. "They just told me to open it and see if I can make good use of the contents." He spun it around and briefly examined the sides of it, appearing to be checking for labels of any kind. Nothing. He shook the box gently.

"Maybe it's food."

"Tae, I don't think there's gonna be food in here."

"If it's potato chips I call dibs."

"Tae, shouldn't you be doing something?"

Taehyung pouted. "Don't wanna."

"I don't think Yoongi wants to either but at least he's making an effort. Why don't you help him?"