chapter four .

It wasn't until they actually arrived at school that Yoongi remembered to tell Namjoon they weren't in the same class. And Namjoon noticed, quite easily, the way Yoongi's voice lowered sadly as he told him this. He knew how dependent Yoongi was on him. He knew how uneasy Yoongi could get when surrounded by people, especially when he wasn't there by his side to calm his nerves. But at the same time, he saw this as an opportunity. Though he didn't know much, Namjoon could sense from their brief encounter that Jimin was special, and he found reassuring the boy's pleasant demeanor and gentle words when speaking to Yoongi. It was certainly something different than what he was used to.

Basically, Jimin had an amiable aura, one that Namjoon almost trusted completely. Yoongi was still the most important person in the world to him, though, so of course he would be cautious.

"We'll see each other at lunch and whenever PE starts," Namjoon told his friend, patting him encouragingly on the back. He pulled down his mask for a second so Yoongi could see the sincerity of his smile. "Okay? Then you can tell me all about the exciting events that go down when I'm not around."

"Sure. Maybe I'll see a snail crawl across the windowsill."

"And I'm sure you'll give the story to me in sarcastic, painstaking detail."

"You know it, Joon."

The two parted ways, somewhat reluctantly, and went to their assigned classrooms. Yoongi ended up falling asleep in his seat until the first class began.

Geometry, first thing in the morning. Luckily for sleepy Yoongi, this was a fairly easy class for him, easy enough that he could afford to doze off every few minutes without waking up totally lost. And dozing off every few minutes was precisely what he did. He'd open his eyes to the sight of their teacher drawing shapes on the board and hear fragments of sentences.

"...and you should all know what a parallelogram is by now..."

"...that you can never assume the measure of an angle if it's not given to..."

"...sum of all the angles, and you'll get..."

"...going to assign a group project that will involve some researching."

Yoongi suddenly felt more awake. Those two words. Please tell me I misheard him.

"Since it's early in the year," the teacher, Mr. Lee, continued, "I'm going to be generous and allow you to pick your partners. However."

Pushing his glasses into place, the middle-aged man drew in a deep breath, then sighed.

"Kim Taehyung and Park Jimin. I'd advise you two, for the sake of your own grade averages, not to choose one another for the project. Do you understand?"

A handful of students started to laugh at the two boys, who nodded at Mr. Lee, no arguments made. It goes without saying that Taehyung didn't want to work with anyone other than Jimin. But he was smart enough to know that if the two of them sat down together and tried to draw a circle, they'd probably end up inventing a new shape by mistake. And neither of them could afford inventing new shapes when their already poor grades were on the line.

Taehyung heaved a dramatic breath and turned around in his seat. "Heejun. You're smart. Be my partner."

"Only if you treat me to udon."

"Deal."

Chattering amongst themselves, the rest of the students, two by two, found partners for this group project. All except, that is, Jimin and Yoongi, who were both awkwardly glancing from wall to wall instead of asking the other to pair up. Now Jimin had considered asking Yoongi the moment their geometry teacher had made mention of the project. But then he reconsidered. Yoongi had turned down being his tutor already. Sort of. And perhaps he wouldn't want to work with someone who was severely lacking in this particular subject.